Steelhead Fishing

jblair7

Hi All,

I have never fished for steelhead before but am extremely interested in giving it a try. I do fish in the rivers around Waterloo whenever i can. I am looking for any tips or advice on tackle, location, technique or anything else you think would be benificial for me to know. I mostly fly fish these days but i am open to any ways to catch them.

Thanks for all your help,

Jake

Drive you must. You want to catch a river on the drop. After a rain when its reached its highest level and then started to fall. This is when the fresh fish enter the river. Here's the tool I use to help decide where to go.

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/text_search/search_e.html?search_by=p&region=ON

I am going to go to the Saugeen for sure i think maybe tommorow. How fast do the fish move down the river from the lake. If it rained on the weekend will they be at the mouths of the river or further down. Thanks again for all your class.

I am going to go to the Saugeen for sure i think maybe tommorow. How fast do the fish move down the river from the lake. If it rained on the weekend will they be at the mouths of the river or further down. Thanks again for all your class.

Usually the fish move UP river from the mouth. They can travel 20 miles in a few days. So start at the mouth and keep moving UP until you find them! Good luck!

Not sure what pattern to use, but if you hit the right trib at the right time, you will see some guys with fly rods. The second last time I saw a guy fly fishing for chrome, I was with a few of my friends, we bottom bounce, bottom fish and pin. We were all laughing because we had NEVER seen anyone get a fish with a fly rod at that location. We had all seen trees, other anglers the fly fisher catching himself, but none of us could honestly recall seeing one land a fish there at that particular spot. Well after the guy with the fly rod hooked 20 fish in about 90 minutes, and landed more than half of them, we decided that fly fishing can work there LOL... Although the next time I saw him we went 9 for 13 and he was skunked for 3hrs in the same run before he left.

I suspect that like all chrome fishing, watching what works and putting your own twist on it, will usually work. I find the majority of anglers on the Huron tribs will help a person out if they say hello politely and share a few tips first.