Salmonella Poisoning

Bassassins

MgSNqTa.jpg

Highly infectious and extremely addictive. There is no known cure, once exposed to it will shape your life.

T0O6RPW.jpg

Even while writing this, the aftermath still rumbles through our veins. The only wish is to go back, do it again, regardless the tiredness and exhaustion we are left with.

An encounter with a creature that is simply raw power, in its absolute prime, driven with the mindset that there are no obstacles. These fish are determined to go on and will put your every skill to test.

kxoo7Mu.jpg

Mastering the learning curve was quiet a challenge but accomplished rather quickly. Rob is the first one to have an audience with the true king of all rivers. Having met his distant cousins, the illusive lake trout, he knew he was in for a treat. A barrage of unstoppable runs laid ahead of him but skill and patients turned this fight in to a first victory.

a3xjwXp.jpg

We scouted out potential resting spots, deep pools and breaks in the fast current. Getting familiar with the hunting ground is vital. Knowing your way around treacherous terrain will give you the confidence of being able to chase after these behemoth when they take off.

Flexibility is key to success, the fish dictates the speed of the game. When a 30lb torpedo with a brain and a seemingly unlimited power source decides to go, it will, just because it can. You don't tire these beasts out they take you out for a ride.

57yzVqe.jpg

NdOiGD7.jpg

Once we draw first blood the thirst for it was unquenchable.

9dV1Bq6.jpg

XnCTIx2.jpg

The day goes by drifting single roe eggs under a float with a tiny split shot just heavy enough to make it bounce naturally in the current. Learning to deal with the temper of a bull, these big fish set the true mark on how to combat any big prey.

lzUZFZl.jpg

Later in the afternoon Smooth hooks up with that giant shadow that was resting in a deep pool. His cast was placed text book, slowly floating down stream, one little burst and this King couldn't resist, snap and set and fight. So far this was the biggest fish we have seen all day and it took several runs up and down the ladders to finally get this beast to surrender.

This is the proud smile of a skilled hunter that gave his very best and more to tackle and conquer this royal highness.

OCELu6Q.jpg

e0ta8tD.jpg

Exhausted but satisfied there is no time to celebrate as the next hookup is already in motion.

1eqyyOw.jpg

QeMT8H7.jpg

We are mostly tag teaming these beautiful creatures but sometimes you find your self alone and its just you and the fish. No assistance in landing or friendly coaching advise, this is where push comes to shove. Single handedly landing a fish like this is a challenge. We love challenges.

dxBZ1X1.jpg

Time always goes by way to fast when you are having fun and way to soon its time to pack it in, John and I where playing the last cast game, over and over. The last chance saloon was about to close its doors as John hooks up once more.

aEC7fy6.jpg

At this point my attention is all on my self as a tank of a salmon decides to put my last strength to the test.

Taking me on an epic run downstream, there is nothing you can do to stop it, hanging on is all there is left. The drag set as tight as possible, while still allowing some line to escape from the spool is the only way to put a little pressure on these fish.

A mad chase unravels as rocks and boulders fly by on the way down, one eye on the fish the other on the terrain, trying not to turn this in to a total disaster. A couple of long agonizing minutes later and she is all mine. The face says it all!

C5BE1rk.jpg

A trip of a life time, tired and exhausted, deeply satisfied we are on the retrieve back home. Laughing and already reminiscing, celebrating this wicked day. Having the chance to meet the king up close and personal was an incredible experience. It feels like once you successfully handled a fish of this magnitude there is no challenge left that can't be tackled anymore.

Tight lines

Dirty boots in 2ft of water.. Did they even have a chance?

We are unclear of what you mean by this BIllM??

awesome report.

and to think, thought the thread was about diarrhea :whistling:

Captpierre - I am sooo glad you were wrong... lol

Thanks guys ... glad you liked it!

Some of the "Holier than thou" river fisher peeps frown on fishing small frogwater runs for zombie chinooks. I guess it isn't sporting enough for them unless you got the gear and the looks, and target a species that doesn't die after they do their thang....

Personally I don't care for it, but it looks like you guys had a blast !!! Great report and awesome pics. Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

DAS BOOT!!!!!!!

Edited by Chotchkies House

Some of the "Holier than thou" river fisher peeps frown on fishing small frogwater runs for zombie chinooks. I guess it isn't sporting enough for them unless you got the gear and the looks, and target a species that doesn't die after they do their thang....

Personally I don't care for it, but it looks like you guys had a blast !!! Great report and awesome pics. Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

DAS BOOT!!!!!!!

Thank you for explaining and thanks for what you said. We have to say we don't know how "zombie" they all where when a few of these fish took 20 plus minutes to land and numerous fish had no problem breaking us off. Assuming we stepped into a bigger "issue" here on this forum again... so much drama lol like sponsors and fishing location should we now modify our salmon report just for this forum that only has the little fish that eat the roe and run back down river?! **eye rolling**

Thanks everyone else for reading and enjoying.

Fished with both these fellas and will say that in person they are as much fun and enthusiastic about fishing as they come across on line.

As far as salmon fishing... if thousands of put-and-take fish with less chance for successful C&R can be taken for sport or money or fun by those able to do so on the lake, then a few lads enjoying some C&R with end of life river fish should certainly be nothing to smite.

Some salmonella poisoning can be infectiously fun.

Fished with both these fellas and will say that in person they are as much fun and enthusiastic about fishing as they come across on line.

As far as salmon fishing... if thousands of put-and-take fish with less chance for successful C&R can be taken for sport or money or fun by those able to do so on the lake, then a few lads enjoying some C&R with end of life river fish should certainly be nothing to smite.

Some salmonella poisoning can be infectiously fun.

Totally Agree :good:

Thank you for explaining and thanks for what you said. We have to say we don't know how "zombie" they all where when a few of these fish took 20 plus minutes to land and numerous fish had no problem breaking us off. Assuming we stepped into a bigger "issue" here on this forum again... so much drama lol like sponsors and fishing location should we now modify our salmon report just for this forum that only has the little fish that eat the roe and run back down river?! **eye rolling**

Thanks everyone else for reading and enjoying.

I call them Zombies, because they have one thing on the mind, and that is spawning.... you can see them turning black and basically rotting while still alive, missing chunks out of them, and their still moving up and onwards to reproduce.... Kinda of like the living dead....

Edited by Chotchkies House

Nice report! Those Zalmon are the champs of Tug-o-War, but take heed of Mikes advise and definitely watch where you grab them once they hit the rivers.....

Bill "Almighty" has a certain ring to it :rofl2:

Can I get this engraved on my next rebuild? I like the ring to it. Or perhaps 'Zombie slayer?'