Chapleau game preserve Fly in to Abbey Lake

can u fish

Just got back a little over a week ago from our annual fly in fishing trip this year we had decided to fly into one of the worlds largest game preserves out of Chapleau Ontario after doing a lot of research on the game preserve and obtaining a lot of information from one of our OFC members Known as Mike Borger aka Solo Padler the decision was made to fly into Abbey Lake with Parks fly in fishing and outpost camps after a few phone calls and speaking with Martin and his wife Jenn owner operators of Parks we decided on flying out on September the 6th for seven days into Abbey and I am glad we did cause we had an awesome trip. Let me start with the cabin which was a 2 bedroom log cabin nestled on a little hill over looking the lake it had two separate bedrooms and was well equipped as most outpost camps are this camp had hot and cold running water at the sink and a outdoor shower which was nice to have also the cabin was wired for lights which was supplied by a 2000 watt generator and we even had serius satellite radio which was nice to have also fresh drinking water was also available you don't see that to often at a outpost camp,now lets get on to the fishing our first 2 days were spent trolling the shore line with worm harnesses and jigs and twister tails tipped with a worm and it did not take long to get into the walleye once we determined what depth most of the walleye were concentrated in we really got into them and just started using different color combinations of jig heads and twister tails the depth was between 15 and 22ft it sure is nice having your electronics on these fly in trips I have not fished a lake like Abbey before it has so much structure and fast breaking shorelines so the depth finder sure comes in handy we caught and released a lot of walleye on this trip and most of them were 16 to 17 inches and good and plump biggest walleye was 21.5 inches and what was also pretty cool are the amount of blue walleye that we had caught I am not one to keep count on how many fish we catch on our fly in trips and never will heck I have not been on a bad fly in trip yet it is always nice when you can go out on the lake and have your stringer of shore lunch fish with in an hour or less let me say one thing when your hands are cut up and beat up and arms are sore you know that a lot of fish were caught and released and that is why we do not keep count all and all another awesome trip as always now the countdown begins for next years trip we have already decided to fly back into the Chapleau game preserve and fish either Ribes Lake or Anjigaming with the same outfitter I would also like to thank all of the OFC members who had answered all of my Questions on Abbey Lake and gave me a lot of great information that is what makes the Ontario fishing community forum one of the best online.Now I just need to learn how to post photos and videos of my trips lol...

Cheers Mitch....

Looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for the post. Let's see some pics!

I would love to put some photos up I have quite a few and a lot of video every time I try to upload a photo it is telling me the file is to big I live in a rural area and am running off a telus hub so I do not have high speed internet whether that is the problem or not I am not sure.