The girls all get prettier at closing time

danc

By Mickey Gilleys standards, the meaning of this phrase is obvious. But to a Brook Trout fisherman, closing time is the last few days of the open season, when both males and females look their best. Males are the real trophys at this time of year with their deep orange polka dotted flanks, hooked jaws, and humped backs, but they were few and far between for my Buds and I this time. So we had to put up with the girls. They too color up nicely in the fall as they look for a mate to spawn. It was far from our best closure in recent years, but despite the high winds and occasional down pour, we did ok while tenting in the middle of Heaven. We had to work hard for our 20 or so fish that we caught over 3 days. Not a lot of pics, but these are the best.

2013-1_zps89b65fa9.jpg

2013-3_zpsfb911dc5.jpg

2013-2_zpsc6b6d468.jpg

We did get a couple of nice males. Lousy shot in the low light, but this was the nicest.

sucks1_zps8da9b409.jpg

Can't wait until May..

Let's hope the bugs aren't as bad as they were the last time I was up in May!!! :) See ya up there!

Bill. Those black flies were so bad when I bumped into you. I wouldn't have spent any more time if I had met Jennifer Aniston up there that day than I did with you.

• 6 months later...