Lake O

leaf4

Hey everyone hope your Mondays are going well

I've gotten out over the past few weekends with the girlfriends dad and her brothers, the only thing we've been able to produce consistently is lake trout and rainbow trout, we've caught probably 14 in total, to 3 salmon. we've been fishing out of port credit also but are not opposed to going elsewhere(Dalhousie etc) we're driving from binbrook so any launch is doable

Speaking with others it seemed we were going too deep so we stuck to trolling 30-60 fow and keeping the dipsy's on the shallower side.

The setup is the big rectangular flashers with the fly back about 5' (the name escapes me at the moment lol)

One of his friends runs the same setup and it seems every time he goes out he's pulling out at least two and we're going to the same spots the same times with the same setups it's baffling haha, so if anyone would be kind enough to part with some advice I'd appreciate it!

thanks again, tight lines

Agreed on the shorter Fly length, also if your catchin a lot of lakers your prob going too slow. We go anywhere from 2.2 to 3.0 mph down speed on the probe. If you have no probe make sure those dipsey rods have a good hard bend in them. Thats how we ran for years without a probe. Lastly try not troll in a straight line, zig and zag so that the inside rod will slow and the outside will speed up, if you get a hit on one adjust your speed accordingly. Good luck

Ya man the fly length is way to long 18-24 inches max !!!!! Trust me the kings like it that way !!!! I never run a fly anymore than 30inches !!!!! Ever

I don't think I've run a fly less then 30in (Usually a lot longer then that) kings and the rest of the fish out there don't seem to mind, lol.

When they are run short like that thee flies have a wicked snap roll behind a spin doctor or a pro troll flasher !!!! I have seen guys run them a foot !!!! It doesn't seem right but it really does work I have several already tied up and put onto flashers I will try to get a pic of them !!!!as well as when they are shorter and you are running them off a rigger and there is waves or swells it really gets them snapping and rolling as the boat moves up and down !!!! It really can make the diff between a fish less day and a cooler full !!!! I learned that from a charter boat capt I used to fish with who won a salmon derby running that program !!!! Sometimes it's all in the details and he helped develope flies for a well known company with tons of hours of camera footage on the cannonball and short leads to the flasher and fly !!! It's definitely worth a try and as another poster noted speed is critical and for the flies I always bumped up my speed a bit to get them snapping on a roll !!! 2.8-3mph I have even run the short lead program for lake trout in Haliburton and other lakes and they don't seem to mind it either so give it a try if the fish seem spooky and you can see streakers Comming up looking and going back down lengthen the set-up a bit if I'm running them off a rigger it's usually about 10-20feet behind the ball to the flasher run that as the deep line and you can experiment easier and faster so the fish can tell you what they want !!!!!!! And by no means am I saying that a longer lead will not work it just gives you another option to put the odds in your favor !!!!! Tight-lines. Shawn