French River Walleye Tips

dsukh

Heading up to the French River for the first time in a few weeks for some walleye action. I've never targeted walleyes before so not sure what to use.

Any tips on equipment, techniques, and lures? I'm thinking of bringing my 6' ML stcroix. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

What section of the French are you staying at?

The walleye can be tough. I was up there for the Labour Day weekend, I fished for other species too, but caught zero walleye, same with the other boat

you read quite a few reports on here from the French and they state the walleye were tough

night fishing can increase your chances, check deep water in the day too

I would second what Chris said. I've fished out of Noelville, which is near halfway between Nip and G-bay.

Unless you're really familiar with walleye fishing in that area I'd say go get some smallies and gators - there are lots!

The pics are really tough and you end up pounding the water for a couple of measly fish (although I did luck into a biggun up there).

Point is, it's pretty easy to get skunked unless you know just what to look for.

Good luck anyway - and enjoy the beautiful country!

Thanks guys.

Ill be going out with somebody who knows the area a lot. I just want to be sure ill have the right gears before making the 5hr drive, without having to bring everything (will be carpooling with a few others).

I'm thinking of a ML rod, spinning setup with 8lb mono line. Think that'll do? Or should I go braid? I guess I'll bring a few small cranks, few senkos, few small spinners, jigs.

Any comments?

Thanks guys.

Ill be going out with somebody who knows the area a lot. I just want to be sure ill have the right gears before making the 5hr drive, without having to bring everything (will be carpooling with a few others).

I'm thinking of a ML rod, spinning setup with 8lb mono line. Think that'll do? Or should I go braid? I guess I'll bring a few small cranks, few senkos, few small spinners, jigs.

Any comments?

if they know the area, then ask them what to bring. ;)

bring your ML and 8lb mono.. you'll be jigging or drifting with live bait in current areas at dusk / dawn or in the dark for walleye. trolling body baits in the dark can be effective too. in the daytime that setup will catch smallies all day. if you can bring a 2nd casting pike rod.

Edited by Raf

Got to know more about what area of the French you'll be fishing, different areas, different techniques. I actually prefer a lighter line (6 lb mono) for jigging. Dusk or later above rapids will often produce some nice eyes casting a small spinner or crank bait, let the current do the work for you (I switch up to 8 or even 10 lb mono for that depending on the current and size of the bait you are casting)

I use worm harnesses and troll along weed beds when I'm at the French (usually in July); I'll be up in the Port Loring area the last week in September fishing back lakes - I ll be targeting walleyes with the harnesses then. I rely on my fishfinder to put me on the fish and then I try the harnesses and rapalas as well.

Good luck and have a good trip (no bugs!! - that's what I like about late Sept).

WR

The walleye fishing on the lower French can pretty dang' good in the fall. It might be a bit early still. A lot of 10lb plus fish are boated in October and November. There are guys I know who barely wet a line for walleye all summer...they wait till now (or later) and fish Muskie or whatever before that. They consider the season poor if they don't get at least one double-digit 'eye before freeze-up. Of course like the rest of the year, there are good days and bad.

Mainly they jig for them while drifting. One of my good buddies swears by propeller jigs. (Northland makes them). But whatever lead-head you want to use with or without (try both) a twister tail and either a worm, leech or minnow is the idea. I think about 80% of the fish caught that time of year are taken with something along those lines.

The thing there's lots of water and they fish in just a few specific spots. Someone who knows the area well is a big help.

Have fun.

So you'll be on the Upper French / Nip side of things , find structure in 25FOW near shallow reefs ( look at the hydro map ) use a jig&trailer tipped with a worm or single jig tipped with a DACE or Leech and you're in the money , it's another banner year for Nipissing, cast the adjacent shallow water at dusk for the mommas , Husky Jerks work well, good luck.