Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

How else are we suppoed to determine what goalie will bring the cup home this year if we don't let the goalies get a good workout?

Hopefully both of them together can do there share.Why try and trade Reimer when you need two goalies.They are the reason I believe they are 10-4.

Lots of work to do,and I know it sounds funny,but mark my words,if they don't do anything,there will be a slide.Get a good defence now..IMO.

Edited by davey buoy

Well you can't argue with the bottom line and that is getting the two points...but badly out shot again and the opposing tenders consistantly letting in 1 goal per 5 shots, Bernier and Reimer may want a raise.

The shot count is so far off side its not even funny..Shots from the blue line and tricklers from the boards are all Edmonton and Calgary got..Yes they are shots but come on , they aren't quality scoring chance..The Leafs shots are all good chances for the most part. We can be out shot all season Ill take what they are doing any day..Its good solid defensive hockey.push the players and the puck to the boards..Keep the front of the net clear and let the goalies do their jobs..Praise Reimer.....

A few years ago the leafs had lots of shots but few goals.

Who cares what the shots are when you are winning. Learn how to enjoy the good times.

The D is ok. DanC knows a good defenceman.

I assume that you're referring to Dion, Glen? As most of you know, I met him and spent some once in a lifetime quality time with him. Sure, he's not the best defensive defenseman. But there's a reason that he is near the top of the league in ice time every year, under both Wilson and Carlyle. He obviously has offensive skills and gets caught up ice at times. That should be addressed by the coaching staff. Someone has to cover for him when he's up on the play. What we don't know is how much of a team leader is he in the dressing room. I assume he's pretty good in that department too. I know that he was very well spoken when I talked to him. Not 20 minutes before we chatted, he was in a meaningless scrap with Horton of the Bruins ( who left the ice with a bloody nose/face). We talked in depth about his reluctance to fight, and of course it made sense. It was a priviledge to be talking to him about this one on one in the Leafs dressing room while a hoard of reporters waited outside the dressing room door on a hockey night in Canada game, to talk to him about the same thing. Bottom line is that I may be predjudiced Phaneuf fan, but I I think that the Leafs will be a much lesser team without him. They are a fun team to watch and they have lots of potential to make a run, and losing Dion at this point will not serve them well.

Dion has been making some real good offensive moves this year! I think thats awesome as it creates havic for the opposing team. But the team does need to back him up when he rushes. The leafs d imo, only need to be stronger up the boards in their zone and let the wingers make a play. If they can do that, the defense will improve dramatically. And send down ranger, he is clearly a liability

Does anyone else find the timing of Dion's resurgence as a top defenceman in the league interesting, considering he is playing in a contract year?

Why do I think we will see the same ole Dion next year, once he has signed his new contract?

Just throwing that out there!

HH

Does anyone else find the timing of Dion's resurgence as a top defenceman in the league interesting, considering he is playing in a contract year?

Why do I think we will see the same ole Dion next year, once he has signed his new contract?

Just throwing that out there!

HH

Pretty sure this was mentioned on the last broadcast by the 'panel' during the first intermission :)

Dion plays the hardest 20-30 min. Of every game. It's not like he is playing against other teams 3rd or fourth lines, of course he will make mistakes. It's not just the quantity of min he plays but the difficulty of those min. "Everyone always says aww dion was on the ice for that one again". Of course he was he plays half the bloody game.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Dion takes heat because he's the Captain/Top Defenseman in a hockey crazy city... On a "championship" team he'd be a 2nd pairing defenseman. In other words the expectations placed on him are higher than what he's going to achieve.

Pretty sure this was mentioned on the last broadcast by the 'panel' during the first intermission :)

I didn't catch the first period inthe last game... caught up with it during the 2nd intermission.

So, I guess what your saying is, I should be on the panel between periods! LOL

HH

I'm not sure Dion's game is much different then the last few years. As with any team that is winning, almost everyone looks better then when the team is loosing. He eats up the top/tough minutes most nights.

Having said that, I wonder what he might, as an expiring contract, garner in the trade market as part of a package? I like selling high.

As much as I feel he is a very needed D man I don't like the idea of him getting anywhere near 7 million dollars a year or a 7 year deal that has been rumoured.