Question for NW Ontario Pike Guys

chickenhawk

Hey guys, I have been guiding for a camp on the English river, on the Umfreville lake section, anyway my question to you guys is how do you locate big "trophy" size northerns at this time of year? I have focused a lot of time casting weed beds that are located close to deep water. For the most part these spots produced through July and into early August, now it seems they have disappeared. What areas would you focus on in order to pattern these fish? Many articles claim they move to deeper water, well what kind of deeper water? 20 feet? 60 feet? there are spots on this river where depths reach over 100 feet....I just am confused as to what these fish are doing when in the past I have caught fish at this time of year in those weed beds. Any help that you can provide me is greatly appreciated. The river itself holds a stained brownish colour all year round so locals claim you cannot fish deep because the fish cannot see your lures....any ideas guys? lol thanks again and look forward to learning more

there are no muskies in that section of the river, if that helps, it was dammed like 50-60 years ago and musky habitat was destroyed and pikes thrived.....I have read articles saying that pike that share lakes with musky do different things than pike who do not share with muskies...thanks again

Have you found the bass? This time of year on rainy river(which isn't too far from you), when the bass start to feed heavy the pike are right near by. They mix in at periods then move back out a little. I'd look shallow early and mid/late afternoon. This time of year I'm tossing plastics crawfish (black red fleck), booth pot belly spinner baits (black/silver, chart, white) and money minnow swim baits or Berkeley ripple shads. Hope this helps. I'll also ask my neighbour, he guides on the English river as well

Suspended off the deep weed edges, could be over 30-40ft of water. That's where I'd be looking if I was hunting giants in NW Ontario.

The ones I got came out of no where total surprise mind you the lake is only 30 ft deep with steep drops on the weed lines.

(hint)

thanks for the replies guys......I also am having trouble locating the bass, they seem to be scattered, im picking them up casting weedlines for northerns and the odd bass on the flats....but they have not stacked anywhere yet....appreciate the help and ill try a little deeper while casting, I might just be getting too close, try slowing down and working my way into the shallows....thanks again for the help

Based on the type of watershed you're fishing, you need to target prominent back bays, but only the ones directly adjecent to deeper water or current.

Sounds as though that's what you were doing with success earlier. The reason I believe this pattern isn't producing now is water temperature. For most of the day it's too warm in the back bays.

There will generally be a relatively short window of opportunity in these back bays in both the very early morning and again at dusk. I actually prefer early morning as the water temps will usually drop overnight to their coolest point of the day.

If it means getting up super early and travelling to a spot in the dark if it's a long run, then do it. Alternatively you may end up driving back to camp in the dark after the evening bite.

During the day, especially sunny bluebird days the best I can suggest is you troll deeper water with diving crankbaits directly adjacent or as close as possible to these back bays or feeding shelves.

Because you say the current in that part of the river is murky, it's almost certain that fishing deep won't be a consistently good pattern as pike are primarily sight feeders.

I'm a big big fan of the moon phases and their effect on large pike. With the full moon on the 20th the week of Sept 14 should be rocking.

I'll be chasing big gators in NW Ontario myself that week.

Good luck in your quest.