Swimmer's Itch?

siwash

Hey folks,

Did a beach day with the wife couple of days ago.. This was the second beach day we did this summer.. and, the second time I ended up getting a bunch of little "mosquito-like" bites all over my legs adn some on my body, arms too... We swim at a Georgian Bay beach (Tiny township). I think this is swimmer's itch b/c it only happened when I came back from the beach. My wife did not get it becuase she didn't swim.

Does this sound like swimmer's itch and if it does, have other gotten this swimming Lk Huron/ Geo Bay or other lakes in Ontario?

Yes it's pretty common especially this late in summer take a Benadryl or antihistamine and you will be good to go some aloe Vera will help sooth it and make the itch go away common all over Ontario I have had it many times apparently it's a reaction to the algae ???

Another possibility.. sand fleas.

Swimming at Balm Beach?.. in the protected "horseshoe" or further down the shore in more open water?

Another possibility.. sand fleas.

Swimming at Balm Beach?.. in the protected "horseshoe" or further down the shore in more open wa

Wymbolwood... a few miles south

Its almost certainly swimmers itch. We get it up at our place near 15 concession. The last few years have been better than others, but its still around. Its a parasite that goes from snails to merganser ducks, then is in the water at one stage in life. its more common in shallower water where the snails are which is why that area of Georgian Bay has it. People are not the target host. They bury into the skin and die, but for people that are sensitive to it, it can be really itchy. I am sensitive so I get really itchy welts that get "weepy" for a few days after. If you shower off right away when you get out of the water you can reduce it a bit. Some say towelling off well helps too, but not for me. I have found that putting on some baby oil on the skin before you swim helps a lot.

We do also get "no see-ums" at the beach too though. They give a nasty bite for a little fly you can barely see. For me its different from the swimmers itch though. Much less itchy and no weepy welts.

Edited by Canuck

Its almost certainly swimmers itch. We get it up at our place near 15 concession. The last few years have been better than others, but its still around. Its a parasite that goes from snails to merganser ducks, then is in the water at one stage in life. its more common in shallower water where the snails are which is why that area of Georgian Bay has it. People are not the target host. They bury into the skin and die, but for people that are sensitive to it, it can be really itchy. I am sensitive so I get really itchy welts that get "weepy" for a few days after. If you shower off right away when you get out of the water you can reduce it a bit. Some say towelling off well helps too, but not for me. I have found that putting on some baby oil on the skin before you swim helps a lot.

We do also get "no see-ums" at the beach too though. They give a nasty bite for a little fly you can barely see. For me its different from the swimmers itch though. Much less itchy and no weepy welts.

Yes we encountered those tiny little flies too... really small buggers that are very annoying... when there's little wind it's worse..

Hey folks,

Did a beach day with the wife couple of days ago.. This was the second beach day we did this summer.. and, the second time I ended up getting a bunch of little "mosquito-like" bites all over my legs adn some on my body, arms too... We swim at a Georgian Bay beach (Tiny township). I think this is swimmer's itch b/c it only happened when I came back from the beach. My wife did not get it becuase she didn't swim.

Does this sound like swimmer's itch and if it does, have other gotten this swimming Lk Huron/ Geo Bay or other lakes in Ontario?

I think what you may be describing might not be Swimmers itch but a reaction to the sun??

For years I tried to figure out why I was getting these little white bumps. I know mosquitoes don't bother me and I am in contact with the water all the time.

The one thing that I have found is that If I don't put on sunscreen they show up and itch like crazy for a couple days.

Just a thought.

Don.

Care to explain? I hope not either...

I contracted a round worm, and it took 2 1/2 years of testing to find out why I was sick. 2 1/2 years after diagnosis and still fighting the after affects. 2 heart attacks, 3 strokes, tremours, over active immune system.......Not been a bowl of cherries