Crown land camping

Everything that was available that close along the 400 has been posted no parking... the hwy ditches changed so you can't get off and park in the grass etc to use the crown around 6 mile, McCreary, Gibson, etc. unless you really do your homework.

Is this like asking for fishing spots?? Or the 2hrs from gta that make it a crazy question? Nothing near kawartha highlands or maybe a little further?

IMO, asking this question on an open forum is far worse than asking for fishing spots.. Well... The answers are the problem, not the question.

Not to sound like a sap. But a nice crown land campsite is a precious thing. Specially within 2 hours of the big stink.

I can only think or a dozen or so. But they where found through lots of research and ground pounding. I'd tell you where they where. But because of the good old Internet, you need to show up a day before the long weekend to get a spot.

Edited by N.A.W

If you have a canoe head for the Magnetewan, French or Pickerel River. Find a marina or lodge to pay a few bucks for parking and paddle till you find a spot you can make do with. 2 hours or closer isn't going to happen

IMO, asking this question on an open forum is far worse that sling for fishing spots.. Well... The answers are the pr Not to sounds like a sap. But a nice crown land campsite is a precious thing. Specially within 2 hours of the big stink.

I can only think or a dozen or so.

Thats true, never thought of it that way when i wrote the post. I found OFC very helpful in the past with similar info and figured it was worth a shot and a lot easier then calling up family and friends for days to get helpful information about places i wasnt familiar with. Im sure we will find something, just going to be harder then i though. Thanks for the input tho guys.

I don't mean to sounds like a dick head or anything.

It's just a tough question to get answers to the day before a long weekend. No matter how great OFC is!

Perfectly understandable, i think i might have come across some spots near apsley and bancroft. I just hope they pan out and arent a waste of a long weekend lol.

I know a place just N-E of P Sound where you could camp and catch bass. PM me if interested.

I am thinking the same place. I was just there last weekend and I doubt he would get a site, it was rammed last week. I was there bout 4-5 years ago and we were the only group around.

We used to have a member on this board who camped on the islands of Lower Buckhorn north of Peterboro on a regular basis. As far as I know he was never hassled but that was 8 or 9 years ago and I have no idea how things are today.

We were looking for a lake more suitable for swimming, but we used to camp Big island on Pigeon years ago without any hasstle. Shame that island is private property now. It was sooo convenient for a fishing outing with the boys. But now my feiend owns Rolling Hills Estates across the pond and is even more convenient. Lol

That's a pretty bold question to ask the day before the last long weekend of the summer. I think the further north you're willing to drive (like North Bay to Subury), the more open people get for their crown land spots but within 2hrs from TO is pretty tight sealed I think from everyone.

I'm sure if you made a few calls or checked online you'll fine some campsites still available. Looks like there are open tent spots available at the KOA in Parry Sound. There are boat launches around, one just a minute down the road and a beach a little further, plus a pool. That's assuming you don't mind a freight train whaling the horn close by a couple times a night LOL! Also, maybe check Sibbald Point PP, you got boat launch for simcoe and a big beach for the ladies.

Edited by Governator

We were looking for a lake more suitable for swimming, but we used to camp Big island on Pigeon years ago without any hasstle. Shame that island is private property now. It was sooo convenient for a fishing outing with the boys. But now my feiend owns Rolling Hills Estates across the pond and is even more convenient. Lol

To the best of my knowledge that island has been private land for decades and many just assumed it was crown land. You were trespassing in days past like many others, they just won't tolerate it anymore. Lots of land like that in Ontario where "I use to take my kids there to picnic.. and suddenly someone put up a fence". Check out the MNR land atlas and next time you'll know what you're on.