sheephead

millerman

Hey every one i was wondering where is a few good place's to catch sheep head I would. Like to catch some big ones and cook them up and also how would you recommend to catch them and I'm looking for places that they are like a nuisance And I live in Mississauga so I'm kinda looking for some places close oh also I have a small rubber boat so thanks in advance

We catch a lot in the Grand between Cayuga and Dunnville this time of year. Worms on a pickerel rig oughta do it. Wherever the river is slow and wide. Right below the bridge in Cayuga is good. Lots of large suckers and some carp as well.

Trolling Erie for walleye always produces sheephead. Use large worm harnesses. They are a nuisance to us walleye guys. 3 weeks ago I caught a 20 lb sheephead!

what he said!

my last trip on erie i could have filled a cooler with sheephead in no time...

You shouldn't have to travel this far for drum though. Lake O has lots, fish the nearby piers, slowly drag a white grub on a pink jighead, tipped with a worm. I used to catch plenty off Bronte pier in the summer when I lived out that way.

If you have access, a trip to Grand R. around Lake Erie sounds like best place..

Around Port Credit shoreline rocks by river mouth might produce using techniquea outlined above.

Wondered about edibility of sheepshead but found good article.

You have to clean and cook quickly since they are oily and go 'fishy' fast.

Apparently they are quite good if treated properly.

http://ediblecleveland.com/stories/summer-2012/bringing-in-the-sheepshead