Backwoods Lake Trout Report #2

4x4bassin

Went on our annual August quad trip to Lake X a couple weeks ago with a couple friends and as always it was a blast . The night before we left I spread all the important stuff

on the garage floor just to make sure I was not forgetting anything, nothing worse than working your tail off to get to lake X and discovering that you forgot your favorite/go too

lure at home. I'm sure we have all been there before.

P8020357_zps6d2885e2.jpg

A couple pictures at the trail head after the bikes are "loaded" up and a pic of the gang along a good part of the trail

P8090359_zps2e3926a7.jpg

P8090360_zps5abe9656.jpg

This time of the year we find the lake trout fairly deep (50-70ft) so the jigs are tied on , finders are juiced up and away we go . First drift through the bay we started to nail them .This one was caught on the first drop of the jig .

P8090362_zps5d20e038.jpg

The afternoon went on and the fishing was great with us boating around 15 lake trout and a couple smallies. The next morning the lake trout were off a bit but the smallmouth were

on fire just off a point in about 20ft of water in front of an old hunt camp , This was one of the biggest I caught that morning.

P8100364_zps85d3abbd.jpg

That night we had a lake trout shore lunch at camp , here is a pic. of my friend cleaning them up at camp.

P8100369_zps978f08bd.jpg

The next day started well with a couple nice lake trout but the lake trout bite tailed off quick and we resorted to the smallmouth .

P8110381_zps9729d435.jpg

When we were fishing for the smallies up on the point we discovered that the lake trout were there as well in 15-25ft of water and surprisingly hitting our crayfish jigs . We caught around 10 lake trout this way , pretty crazy if you ask me . This was the bait/baits I was catching the lakers on that morning

P8120386_zpsa913e242.jpg

P8110382_zps7f28752f.jpg

It was a great trip and I can't wait for the next one in September , hope you enjoyed !

P8100370_zps15a2b80b.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys , it sure was strange catching smallmouth and lake trout in 20 ft of water on the same small point and the same crawfish jig in the middle of August . I guess

you just never know ! I am going back to the same lake in September and I will be going back to that point with a crawfish jig tied on for sure :good: