Anyone Try This Before?

fishinguypat

Never tried jigging for salmonids in open water but have had success slow jigging in current. Subtly swim a jig with a 3" or 4" power minnow within 2 feet of bottom. Most bites feel like your jig somehow became a big sponge. Kind of a wierd sensation to describe. But once you set the hook on a sponge it doesn't take long to realize you are attached to a silver torpedo. AWESOME!!

I jig em in the Glenn... Wicked fun!!!

Guys do jig for them on the niagara bar,and on the big shelves on the U.S. side but as a rule salmon like to chase down their meal !!!!!! In my opinion would be way more suited for lakers than anything else?? Or walleyes on the bar as well !!!

Edited by Highdrifter

I believe one of this year's GLA (?) mags had an article on how productive this can be in the right circumstances. I'm sure that for an experienced jig fisherman, on the right water on the right day this'll put fish in the boat.

Asolutely it works. I've been chucking plastics off the piers for a few years now. Swim baits have been better for me though.

If you notice in their video they are fishing the harbor opening from main lake to a fairly large inlet area. Many USA ports on Michigan. Erie and lake Ontario have much more elaborate breakwall and harbor areas so intercepting moving fish is easier. They look to be anchored in the middle of the harbor which is pretty nuts though.

Trust me instead of chucking a Lil cleo all day with the horde tie on a weighted swim bait or work a Berkley gulp weighted off the breakwall. I had some nice bows this spring off Bronte in April this way. Yet to get out this fall but my shad swim baits are ready to go.