Stealth snowmobile?

kickingfrog

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/08/22/canadian-national-defense-to-build-stealth-snowmobile/

Canada’s Department of National Defence posted a public tender in Ottawa for the development of a “stealth snowmobile for covert military operations in Canada’s Arctic,” the Toronto Star reports. The federal government has put aside $550,000 to build a prototype of the hybrid-electric snowmobile that would give Canadian soldiers the ability to traverse frozen landscapes in complete silence. The government document says gas-powered engines are too loud for missions that may require covertness, and the snowmobile prototype must be built with a special “silent mode.” The document does not include details regarding any covert missions that require discrete snow vehicles.

Wow who gets this 550,000.00 to "practice" building a silent sled? All you have to do is just go to to Homeliest Despot and snap up all the toro rechargeable mowers on sale right now for 84 bucks wire enough of them up in series to power a broken down sled you picked up on Kijiji for hauling it away and there you go DONE. Oh sorry forgot it would have to painted stealth camo for the arctic. Then cash the cheque for a 1/2 million bucks.... Is it too late to bid on this?

Stevo and Jimbob are supposed to be CONSERVATIVE with our money this looks like another huge fail to me.

I'm not sure how this works. Why would the Canadian government not commission, say Bombardier, to design and engineer the sled with the stipulation of future payback? Essentially, Bambardier would fund the development dollars required and if the sled was built and performed to spec, the government would buy x amount of machines enabling Bombardier to recoup their investment. Isn't this the way all private companies work?? I know we do. :dunno:

This reminds me of the "This is That' episode where they come out with "virtually silent military vehicles called the MB2000, MB stands for mountain bike, but it's environmentally friendly and is Military issue" "this is not a mountain bike, its an MB2000" hahaha.

Give your head a shake NO manufacturer will fund this project because only some STUPID government bureaucrat will want to buy it.Imagine dead of winter waiting to charge your sled with a solar charger DUH

vance

Give your head a shake NO manufacturer will fund this project because only some STUPID government bureaucrat will want to buy it.Imagine dead of winter waiting to charge your sled with a solar charger DUH

vance

This is a prime example of the one and only thing that annoys me on forums.

Vance, you're an ignoramus.

Geez... already thought those MNR doods were sneaky enough sneaking around when sneaking up on me. Sneaky sneaky freaks. Now they'll just drive by, pick my pocket, run my card, drive by again and put it back... and alls I'll think is I got a wee bit of Arctic draft up my sneaky sneaky.