E test question

mike rousseau

Being an inter-provincial licensed technician (Mechanic if you're not sure what that is) for the last 37 years; along with being a repair tech and inspector for the drive clean program. I have operated my own repair facility for the last 30 year and work with the local high schools in their coop programs teaching the young and up coming techs.

I could list all the up-dating classes I have taken and taught but why bother.

And YES OBD I and OBD II were solely brought out for emissions sake; but now that the electronics have improved so much, we're also benefiting with fuel mileage and power.

Do your homework before you contradict someone.

Dan.

Why are you trying to change the subject? The subject here isn't why OBD was put into place.. You stated that if your car shows a CEL or MIL it's based around the emissions system (or somehow will affect the emissions system), which is absolutely incorrect. Manufacturers have been using OBD to store codes for almost every single system in the car. You think because I've got a CEL for my airbag system that's got something to do with emissions?

Perhaps you should have said 'most' CELs instead of all CEL's... :)

Edited by BillM

I'm talking the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NOT an air bag, traction control or a maintenance reminders. If a check engine light comes on, it has something to do with emissions.

Who in the frig said anything about the other tell tail lights?????

You can have your dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree; as long as the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is off who gives a rat's turd as far as emissions go.

Where did you and I get so side tracked?

I guess it's maybe because I have never called a trac light, ABS light or an air bag light, a CEL light; to me it has always been a check engine; sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Dan.

Oh I forgot to add; in your last sentence you say; "I've got a CEL for my air bag". Ah the acronym CEL stands for CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

Edited by DanD

I don't understand how an invalid license sticker invalidates my insurance....please explain.

I'm going to look into that myself, but I"m interested to hear your explanation.

S.

I'm fairly sure it's a part of every standard insurance policy. The driver has certain obligations in order to maintain continuous coverage. one of those obligations is to ensure you have a valid vehicle license.

I'm talking the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NOT an air bag, traction control or a maintenance reminders. If a check engine light comes on, it has something to do with emissions.

Who in the frig said anything about the other tell tail lights?????

You can have your dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree; as long as the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is off who gives a rat's turd as far as emissions go.

Where did you and I get so side tracked?

I guess it's maybe because I have never called a trac light, ABS light or an air bag light, a CEL light; to me it has always been a check engine; sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Dan.

Oh I forgot to add; in your last sentence you say; "I've got a CEL for my air bag". Ah the acronym CEL stands for CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

No worries man, I had a feeling we go sidetracked somewhere, lol! FYI, in my VW, I'll get the 'CEL' or 'MIL' or whatever you want to call it for any type of malfunction.. airbag, whatever. Same light, different codes (obviously)

I'm fairly sure it's a part of every standard insurance policy. The driver has certain obligations in order to maintain continuous coverage. one of those obligations is to ensure you have a valid vehicle license.

Lots of people drive with expired stickers. I have never heard of a single person having a claim denied due to an expired sticker. I don't think this will impact insurance.

Lots of people drive with expired stickers. I have never heard of a single person having a claim denied due to an expired sticker. I don't think this will impact insurance.

Don't think too hard.

Insurance companies are looking for any legal way out of paying off claims.

If you give them one they'll sure take it.

As stated earlier just call your insurance company & ask.

If you don't have a valid sticker you don't have valid insurance. If any doubt call your agent.

How in hell can a vehicle pass an emissions test with a straight pipe and no muffler? I know, everything on the internet is true!

Yup, that was me... personally.... and totally true. Pipe coming from the engine, passing through catalytic converter, straight pipe where the muffler had been, and through the resonator and to the tail pipe.

Tech mentioned the muffler missing and I questioned that the muffler does only that - muffle noise - and since the catalytic converter was intact, that he should test the van. He did and it indeed passed, which makes sense.

Burt

for them to etest your vehicle it needs to have a certain amount of emissions data in the computer.

If you clear your check engine light, it clears your emission data and your car is not ready for the test

if you don't drive your car often, same thing, it will not have enough data for the test... they will take your money and send you home

not having enough data doesn't mean your car fails, it means your car doesn't pass

after 2 failure to reads you get a conditional pass and you'll be able to get your sticker

no repair is necessary, but they next time it needs an etest, it will need to have the data or it will fail...

93 pick up with 350 k on it passed the etest 4 years ago 2 days later the engine was taken out THERE WERE NO WORKING SENSORS ON THE ENGINE all the wires were rotted off BUT it was perfect in the eyes of the computer go figure.........