It's been 10 years since the big blackout

kickingfrog

I was on my way into Hamilton to attend a retirement dinner when I noticed there weren't any stop lights. Went to my cousins bar where I was working a bit after retiring. We were the only bar around with power.

I had just retired the year before and had been doing failure analysis before leaving, I talked him into getting a generator and we had just had it installed.

The only bar downtown that I know of that had cold beer until it sold out. We saved many thousands of dollars in meat. And he sent my wife and I to México the next November as a bonus, gotta love it.

Scary part was my wife was in the air and couldn't land in TO or Hamilton, and I didn't know what airline she was on.

Seems like yesterday, 10 years, wow.

I was working near the airport at the time. Was going to get gas on the way home - good call. Anyway - went over to a co-workers house - it was like "my big fat greek wedding" - only Italian. Because they had an extra guest - and I was a growing boy (30 ish at the time) extra food was made. We had homemade wine - and my favorite - Grappa.

His next door neighbour was a mechanic, and had a 10 gallon jerry can, which gave me enough gas to get home. That part was the strangest, and most cool. Bombing down the 400 to Barrie - no lights anywhere, and tons of cars pulled over at the Highway Gas stations, because they did not want to risk going any further.

The thing I remember most though, was how active everyone was when I got home. It was 11PM or so - people were out all over the place, walking/talking, etc. Tells us a little something about the "modern communication age" we live in......

Edited by Tupelo

I/we didn't even know it had happened, we were at a fishing camp that week, West of Matachewan and it didn't have hydro service anyway.

The wife wasn't too impressed; I had all the flashlights and Coleman lantern.

OOPS sorry dear. LOL

Dan.

We here in Brantford lost our power too..I remember cell phones werent working either..It was creepy..Anyway I found out that Scotland (the town of) not even 20 min down the road had power..Myself and 2 neighbours went got gas , Beer, ice and cash.. We were set for the next few days...

I had invested appox 3 days of time into a fishing game on the PS3 .... I didnt have enough space on the memory card to save it, so i just left the console on for those three days.

I was in the middle of reeling in a big one ( lol fisher man dont lie ) and all of a sudden the power kind of dropped off, lights dimmed, fan slowed down etc..... it didnt go off, or flicker.... it was just like someone has started a huge fan or something. I kind of thought " hmmm thats funny ??? " ... .then all was fine for about 10-15 seconds then out it went.

Friends of ours own a driving range / ice cream / small restaurant, so when we realized the grocerie stores and variety stores had been picked over for hamburger buns , condiments , etc. We headed out there and had full range on ANYTHING we wanted .... so we took a few scoops of ice cream and a bag of buns and went home for a " BBQ Fest" as we called them. It was actually not that bad.

Except for the 3 days of missed work.