It's been 10 years since the big blackout

kickingfrog

What black out?

We had a great time(Rosemount).

Made a swing set with the kids and enjoyed fires at night it was like camping with the family didn't even skip a beet as a matter of fact we had a 4 month old little girl and she loves getting away from all the luxuries that we take for granted.

Don.

Live in Grimsby, we were below the big grid, didn't effect us cause we get our power directly from the DeCew Generating Station. The craziest part was word got out that we had power the gas stations went nuts cause we were the only area pumping for a many miles.

Was living in a 'residence' at the time. I don't fully recall what I did, but I think it involved making a desperate run to the beer store to see if they were open, and they were....I guess that's why I don't fully recall

I was living near said 'residence' at the time. I think I spent the entire time trying to find a girl to spend it with... Rather than sitting back an enjoying the silence.

Wow, things have changed a lot in 10 years!

I was running around with portable pumps and set up several generators on the condos i maintain. I remember one gas station having a generator set up to service their pumps. Limiting people to only 20 liters. Good thing I knew the owner as I needed plenty to keep the submersibles and gennys running.

I still remember my youngest daughter saying that night... "You know Dad, we should have this every year". I agree with her.

At the time I was working IT Operations for Stelco out of Jackson Square (24th floor)... **** pretty much hit the fan, had to run down to the data center and gracefully shut down all the non essential servers, storage arrays, SANs etc etc.. Pretty crazy.

<p>i was salmon fishing on lake ontario,about 5 miles out of port darlington,and watched as the darlington nuke plant let out a huge mushroom cloud of steam.....not knowing we had a major power shutdown i thought the plant was having a meltdown,people were freaking out on the marine radio and we started to get the word from the other salmon boats......it was chaos and people started to panic cause of what we all seen from the nuke plant....but as we found out it was the reactors shutting down and getting flooded with cold water....it was scary when you didnt know what was happening......</p>

Edited by fishindevil