Has this happened to you? Minn Kota Power Drive v2

Wendel

I got a new bow mount last year, Minn Kota Power Drive V2 with ipilot... Love it!

However...

Two times it has become unlocked will I was travelling at a high rate of speed. The first time it was a little bumpy, but not too bad, I was still going about 25 mph. Second time, lake was calm, I was doing about 32mph when it came unlocked.

Both times it broke the lower housing and bent the pin badly.

Parts aren't very expensive, and it should only take me about half an hour this time lol

What I want to know is anyone else have a problem like this?

I want to get something that will hold down the head of my motor to the gunnel, The guy from Aikman's told me to make sure I always adjust the locking collar down, but I don't think that will stop it from becoming unlocked, it will just stop it from hitting the water at 30mph which might stop it from getting broken...

I've looked at the Ram Mount trolling motor stabilizer, but I'm looking for other opinions.

Thanks!

I read many many posts regarding this very issue. Usually the complaint was a $100-$200 bent shaft and not just some cheap parts. Ram mounts, as stated above make a mount that attaches to the shaft. I have one for my terrova and it takes any play out of the unit. The downside is I ended up losing half of it in the water the other day. It costs 20 bucks to get the part I need.

Hey there

We had the same issue happen to our Powerdrive V 2 - unfortunately we did shear everything except the cables

When we took it to get fixed at Rocky's he mentioned that it happens all the time with these units

His recommendation - every time you put the motor back on its mount take the height adjustment collar and slide it all the way down the shaft so its snug against the mounting bracket - this way even if it pops off the bracket it has nowehere to go

Bit of a pain as it means readjusting your height etc every time you move from spot to spot - but after 2 seasons of doing this we have never had an issue with the motor becoming unhinged while we are flying across the lake - even on some really rough days

Cheers

Gordy

Hey there

We had the same issue happen to our Powerdrive V 2 - unfortunately we did shear everything except the cables

When we took it to get fixed at Rocky's he mentioned that it happens all the time with these units

His recommendation - every time you put the motor back on its mount take the height adjustment collar and slide it all the way down the shaft so its snug against the mounting bracket - this way even if it pops off the bracket it has nowehere to go

Bit of a pain as it means readjusting your height etc every time you move from spot to spot - but after 2 seasons of doing this we have never had an issue with the motor becoming unhinged while we are flying across the lake - even on some really rough days

Cheers

Gordy

Oddly enough, this is what I have been doing while I wait for my part to come in and what I did before hand as well. Provided the nut is tightened enough, it probably wouldn't even slide out of the holder with the nut flush against the bracket. I just prefer to not have to adgust the nut every time and the mount provides a good brace to transfer shock away from the unit.

Bungee cord or tie down strap fixes that problem.

A 20 cent fix. If you have problems on the water the same thing could happen running down the 401 doing 120K, then you really have a problem. A trolling motor flying down the highway is a huge hazard. You would get charged with "unsecured " load most likely and someone could die. Now that's a major problem.

I don't see an issue and overthinking, a 2" strap will do the trick.

A 20 cent fix. If you have problems on the water the same thing could happen running down the 401 doing 120K, then you really have a problem. A trolling motor flying down the highway is a huge hazard. You would get charged with "unsecured " load most likely and someone could die. Now that's a major problem.

I don't see an issue and overthinking, a 2" strap will do the trick.

How many trolling motor fatalities have their been on the 401? LOL!!

Some of the scenarios you guys dream up are hilarious.