Park's Flyin Abbey Lake

AmongU

Hey Everyone. Recently made a trip with my Wife, 16 yr old Son & dog with outpostcamps.com

to Abbey Lake in the Chapleau game preserve.

I will try not to repeat info from previous reviewers. But add my 2 cents!

This was a first ever flyin adventure for all of us. I started to plan for this trip via the web.

Well this is where I found Mike Borger. Enjoyed a few of his videos on YouTube. He has a much more thorough & well written report here:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56667&hl=abbey

Made the first contact (email of course) to Martin & Jennifer @ Park’s. Initially was looking for

Anginami but Abbey was only available. My Son & I were pumped. Asked my Wife if she would

join us & she said only if she could bring our lab. Well Jennifer said it was no problem, so.... We Booked!

Made the drive from London, ON down to Sarnia & crossed into Michigan then north to Sault

Ste. Marie where we spent the night @ a pet friendly hotel (Sleep Inn) actually pretty good if

You pay the advance Internet rate ($120). Headed the next morning to Wawa where we picked

Up our worms (flat for $60) @ Young’s general store [email protected] then off

to Hawk Junction for our flight.

Martin emailed me that the generator had been malfunctioning for the current group.

I offered to pick one up in Wawa’s Canadian tire & He was onboard for that. So a little

scramble at the last minute but

IMG_0142.jpg

We were just in time for our flight.

Hawk air – very professional. Checked us in & loaded us fast. Very efficient. Offered to hold

My car keys. Pilot was very nice; Lenny I believe. Take offs & landings extremely smooth. On a

trip back my car was waiting @ the foot of the dock – nice touch!

Arrived @ Abbey Lake, The cabin was everything that Mike Borger….

& Terry

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55985&st=0&p=610043&fromsearch=1entry610043

& jds63

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57301&hl=abbey

& Bronzeback

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65268&hl=abbey

reported on in their reviews.

IMG_0155.jpg

Above is a panoramic view of the site from the cabin.

Generator worked great (charged the ipad & ran the magic bullet) Fridge was cold & made solid

Ice! We opted to pump the water from the well drilled on site- treated it with tabs & all was

good. Sattilite radio was a perk. There were 3 boats & motors – the Gentleman that had stayed

before us said he had an issue with 2 of the motors – I tried the third & worked flawlessly the

whole time. Plenty of gas/kerosene & mosquitoes! Bring repellant the more deet the better.

The mattress in the cabin are singles and memory foam; very comfortable – I’m a BIG guy &

Usually end up on the boards all night but not so with these- slept great! Had everything we

needed as far as cooking goes. Cheated a little and brought some paper plates. Brought a bbq

brush (now there’s 2) still needs a metal spatula for the bbq – there are a short pair of tongs.

Had some fun with the meal plan – and made a pineapple upside down cake in the dutch oven.

(rainy day) and tried Mike Borger’s fish tacos – very good!

We were a little worried the first few days as the rain only allowed us midday fishing –

which was tough; Caught a few pike & a walleye trolling 15ft diving perch like rapala.

Then we were able to get out in the morning & evenings (Terry mention’s this) & WOW

what a difference. One after another - white head & duo tail jig with orange eye with

worm & the walleye coloured worm harness were best.

http://youtu.be/qlPCYQ9u9WI

We sure didn't have to go far

from the cabin- the rock pile really produced! Left a laminated copy of a map Mike was

very kind to provide in the cabin alongside another that was there. It was a great help.

Thanks Mike!

fish.jpg

Overall, I would rate Park’s quite high. Very reasonable pricing & Everything they

promise is delivered.

Haven’t been this isolated in a long time. Felt good to enjoy the quiet. The stars were

incredible you could definitely see the milky way & shooting stars abound. I believe my Son & I

have become closer from this trip would recommend to all Dad’s.

meampNick.jpg

Last day was a bit of a scramble as I didn’t expect the plane till about 12:30pm... Well he arrived

about 10am! (Best to pack most everything the night before.)

Did the drive back all in one shift with a few rest stops along the way.

IMG_0194.jpg

Had packed some walleye kebobs & a cheese tray in the cooler for the ride. You guys gotta try these they are fantastic!

Great trip for a total Newbie!

Thanks everyone.

Scott :w00t:

sunset.jpg

Glad to hear you had a great time my brother and I will be flying into Abbey Lake on September the 6th for seven days in I have done many fly ins this time of year and every one of them were awesome this will be our first trip with Parks and based on all the reports on Abbey Lake this should be another great trip well thanks for sharing.

Cheers Mitch...

Looks like a successful trip to me! Going to have to get in gear and book one of those myself. I think I'll leave the wife at home though.

Taking the Wife isn't so bad....She was a great sport! Lol!

Sounds awesome. We are headed into Anjigaming Lake next June... Cannot wait!

That's awesome. Hope you have a blast!

Glad to hear you had a great time my brother and I will be flying into Abbey Lake on September the 6th for seven days in I have done many fly ins this time of year and every one of them were awesome this will be our first trip with Parks and based on all the reports on Abbey Lake this should be another great trip well thanks for sharing.

Cheers Mitch...

Your gonna have a great time! Cheers Mitch.

What a timely report Scott! Charlotte and I leave this Friday for our second trip to Abbey. Glad to hear you and your family had a great time. Cheers.

Wow! Terrific! I left some kebob sticks in the kitchen drawer; Make sure you try those walleye kabobs @ the end of my post....they are great :good:

So glad to hear you guys had a great time Scott!

Very cool that you brought your dog as well. I've been considering bringing mine but she's horrible in the boat, whines and jumps all over the place LOL!

Many Thanks again for your help!!! You definetly made the decision easier. :thumbsup_anim: