Predicting the Salmon Run in Southern Ontario?

wask

As one who doesn't know a lot about Salmon fishing... especially in the creeks and rivers... Do they tend to run up the same creeks as the trout? And tend to run as far up stream? I'm going to give it a shot this year, and was just wondering about that.

I know that after September 30th, I'd have to stay below Hwy 2. in my region.

Edited by Locnar

Hours of daylight play a role, but a minor one at least imo.

Bear in mind different strains of fish will run at different times. A prime example being the Notty. That river traditionally always sees the earliest runs of fish.

The two biggest factors are water temps and rainfall.

Beyond the first couple weeks of July this has been an extraordinarily cool and wet summer. Fish are showing up in certain rivers waaaay earlier than usual. Pulaski for example has seen an inordinate amount of rain and there's already been a substantial amount of fish enter the Salmon river.

Locally guys have been hitting kings, browns and rainbows off the local piers for a while now. Again, way earlier than usual. Many of the salmon are already dark and are staging off the rivermouths for a while now, again much earlier than usual.

Watch the weather forecast. If your favorite river gets hit with another good slug of rain there will be a push of fish.

I went down fishing to the river last night because it feels like the middle of Sept and fish were jumping ...and the only excuse i can come up with for being skunked is ....i didnt have my lucky underoos on...so that is a key factor as well...

• 2 weeks later...