Upper Grand Conditions

Djeep

Heading to the upper grand to fish for browns hopefully or go lower for the smallies tomorrow. never been there before. i heard the river was blown early this week and was wondering if any locals could input on current conditions. yes ive checked charts but as Ive never been Im not sure if its resided to fishable.

I should have posted this way in advance but if anyone could chime in on the water conditions before tomorrow, greatly appreciated!

ps. what flies or an access point would be great too, pm welcome ;)

Edited by Djeep

Current levels out of the Shand dam in Belwood are ~18m3/s which is about 4x normal flow. Most guides won't fish at those levels. But check the charts in the morning, they may lower the dam overnight. It can change quite quickly.

When u go - #18 isopods, green caddis larva with brown head and and pheasant tails are killer there. If u pm me i will send u some pics and recipes. Tailgaters are known for having great numbers of small mayflies. Most on the bottom of rocks are #18 or smaller. The river is loaded with caddis, mayflies and scuds(isopods).

The cedar run area just upstream of the ferguson arena/community centre (on bend of road) is a great place to start. The run is immediately above the path to river at the big willow tree. Nymph fish it. There are some monsters there.

I used to fish the upper river 30 days a year befor I got married and had kids:)

The river fishes much better in May and June as it gets a good bloom later and the best hatches are in those months.

Landry