Thumbs Up for an Independent Tackle/Bait Shop

Pikeslayer

Last week, I took a rare July/August trip to our home lake south of Parry Sound. As quality bait fish is imperative to catching 10+ pike & 5+ walleye, I was determined to find a bait shop enroute (from Mississauga) without having to extend my drive to PS. After some detective googling, I came across 'True Canadian Outdoors'.

To be honest, their website is somewhat confusing and still references the old hwy 400 location so I went 'old school' and picked up the phone to confirm location and hours. TCO is located @ 3175 Rutherford Road, unit H46 in Vaughan. Directly NW of Bass Pro in one of the perimeter strip malls. Best direction I could give is to enter off of Rutherford Road @ the Husky Gas Station. Go south to the first entrance/left turn into the strip mall directly south of Husky. You'll find TCO tucked into a corner unit. It's worth the adventure of finding LOL.

After meeting and chatting with owner Nick, I ordered 2 dozen large minnows. While Nick was prepping the minnows (including an ice pack in the box for the 2+ hour drive), I perused his shop. I got to tell ya, his prices on rods, reels & terminal tackle were really impressive. I'm sending my SIL there in early September to buy a combo for my B'DAY.

BTW, we lost 4 minnows over 3 1/2 days and the survivors were feisty and caught us some decent fishies.

If you're in the BPS neighborhood or looking to pick up some bait 2 minutes off the highway, it's definitely worth your while to find Nick @ True Canadian Outdoors. As mentioned, he could update & invest a little in his website but now that I know where to find him, I'll be visiting there often over September & October & probably be doing a little Christmas shopping as well.

Cheers,

Slayer