New world record Brown Trout

kickingfrog

Link has photo:

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/news/post/world-record-brown-trout-caught-in-new-zealand

The IGFA (International Game and Fish Association) has officially certified a new All-Tackle World Record for brown trout. Otwin Kandolf was fly fishing near a salmon farm on the Ohau B hydro canal on New Zealand’s South Island when he caught the fish of a lifetime – a 42-pound, 1 ounce brown trout. According to an article for Bay of Plenty Times, Kandolf thought he snagged bottom. “I called out [to my fishing partner], ‘I’m stuck, I’m stuck again’. And then I pulled and pulled and I could see my little red spinner coming up. I didn’t even see the fish at first but then I did and shouted ‘it’s on, it’s on’. He went back up the canal and I followed him up about 100m.” Though they had just a small net at their disposal, Kandolf managed to wade out in the water, put the fish’s head in the net, and push the massive fish up on the bank finally land it after 20 minutes of fighting. The 71-year-old angler caught the fish back on March 8, but it wasn’t until this past weekend before it was officially certified as the new world record. The old record belonged to Roger Hellen’s 41-pound, 8-ounce catch in 2010 out of Lake Michigan. For more info and a better look at the size of this fish, check out this 3 News video report.

- See more at: http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/news/post/world-record-brown-trout-caught-in-new-zealand#sthash.veGsLqs7.dpuf

Wait a minute, he was fly fishing with a spinner?

try swinging a tiny dick nite spoon...or a single colorado blade...especially when you come out west....you might like the results ;) they cast easier than huge intruders too

agreed on the triploid thing....those twin brothers on diefenbaker, all of those records rainbows are genetic mutants too?

I have fished tongariro and lake taupo in NZ fishing for browns, it is in my opinion one of the greatest places to fish for these with a fly. i hear the arguments but that is just a massive brown - they catch a huge number of browns in this area?. What a great fish - enjoy - I hope once and for all the musky record gets broken on GB and I am holding the net

I have fished tongariro and lake taupo in NZ fishing for browns, it is in my opinion one of the greatest places to fish for these with a fly. i hear the arguments but that is just a massive brown - they catch a huge number of browns in this area?. What a great fish - enjoy - I hope once and for all the musky record gets broken on GB and I am holding the net

It could be an 85 lb fish and Ramsell and company would still find a way to disqualify it

From what I gather, it’s not a triploid but rather a brown trout that hung around a salmon farm and fed on a constant supply of fish food for most of its’ life...

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/enormous-new-zealand-brown-trout-possibly-a-world-record/

According to my friend who lives in New Zealand (for the past 5.5yrs), trout farming is illegal in New Zealand. You won’t find triploid trout or farmed trout there - At least not since the 70's or 80's.

I wouldn't mind something like that at the end of my line...At least for 1 hero shot :lol:

Edited by MJL

My trip to NZ I spoke with quite a few locals. One of the tackle shops I visited I was told about these obese browns that live in hatchery outflows feeding on pellets and anything else they can fit in their mouths. This record fish is undoubtedly a hatchery fed wild brown.

Trout fishing in NZ is unique. Trout are not native but have adapted well and become established in many lakes and rivers. Many fish spend summers in cold streams and winter in warm lakes. It seems odd to be wading an ice cold stream in the middle of summer surrounded by palms and other tropical vegetation. One spot i fished was the mouth of the Waititi river. Lake Rotorua reaches 20 celcius or warmer. Waititi stays cold and is loaded with trout all summer. Fish up to 5 pounds are common and a 10 pound resident brown or rainbow is always a possibility. Definitely a place to consider for a unique fishing trip.