Do You Feel Dropshot Weights Are Necessary?

Rich

I tinkered with the dropshot a lot at the fishathon. It seemed to catch fish every which way.

But I had 3 styles of sinkers that I used. I had some of the thin pencil weights for dropshotting, the ball dropshot weights, and clamp on water gremlin split shots.

I found the pencil weights hung up a lot. There is a lot of branches and trees down there and it shot my hook into them like a bullet.

It was the other two styles I had a dilemma with.

There was the round dropshot weights, with the advantage of being able to just slip the line into and not tie a knot. But really, that was the only advantage. I found by the end of the day I was finding it easier to simply tie a half-hitch at the bottom of the dropshot and attack some removeable split shots. The bait sunk the same, worked the same, and was just as 'snagless' as the real dropshot weight.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about it. I know we have dedicated dropshotters here. Interested to know if you feel the dropshot weights are important, and why? I'm currently at the point I'd rather save a few bucks and use split shots if it works exactly the same..

I will probably use splitshots after I use up and lose the pencil weights that I bought, I don't think they are any better other than the ease of pinching the line in the eyelet.

The splitshots you just need a set of pliers for securing ... depends on your PITA factor.

I am sure the dropshot experts will provide some better feedback.

not necessary but they are convenient

the tungsten weights allegedly produce more sound when bouncing off rocks, not sure how much more compared to lead but apparenlty more sensitive too, being denser...I just think they sink a tiny bit faster, helpful in deeper water

I do buy them but won't hesitate to just use a regular split shot or regular bell sinker

same thing with hooks, drop shot specific hooks tend to come in smaller packages and more expensive...vmc spin shots are good and do work as intended....but i still prefer a tiny swivel about a foot up, light wire finesse hook and then my split shot

Dont mind the idea of using splitshot if its a single, just find dropshot specific weights to be more accurate to the depth Im fishing. Meaning, one look at the bag and I know whether or not im grabbing the 1/4oz or the 1/2oz. That being said, Im not a big fan of the pencil style because of the tipping motion it has. I'll grab the cone type or ball type just because its more compact and adds to the sensitivity when fishing vertically or on a drift. The contact is right there. Stacking splitshot would seem, in theory anyways, to act more like a pencil weight, only not as smooth.

If you could find single shot in 3/8 and 1/2oz? Probably wouldnt be any different than using a ds specific weight.

I was thinking about this the other day too. I have only used the round ones and I liked them in the fact that I just slipped my line through the metal clip and tied a simple overhand knot. Never saw the use of going to the pencil weights, but I can understand the usefulness of the tungsten weights, being more dense and all.

I just got into drop shotting this summer, didn't do any @ the fish-a-thon though. The trusty wacky worm and fluke texas rigged did all the damage for Rachel and I that day.

I never fish for little fish or smart fish.

Most of my dropshoting is on bigger water with wind and waves and bigger fish.

You definitely can use to large of dropshot weight for your rod. And also get into problems with big fish shaking there head and the dropshot weight pulling the hook out.

Keep everything in balance.

Ahh, okay I understand now. I never thought to factor in rough water, something I dont deal with often. Im sure if I were fishing Erie smallies or something along those lines I'd appreciate the heavier weight.

A lot of it depends on where you fish. On Erie and the Upper Niagara, it's a snag fest because of the current and big lake drift speed. I would NEVER tie a weight on. It's the weight that hangs up 99% of the time. When I have to break off, all I lose is the weight and 1" of line through the drop shot wire gizmo. If you tie on, your knot is the next weakest link.

Next, the pencil weights hang up less than ball types in rocks. Walleye guys who bottom bounce have known this for years. I'll use ball types when I'm fishing a soft bottom. It doesn't slip through the mud as easy and kicks up debris which by itself can trigger strikes. As far as slit shot goes, sure, why not. Just don't pinch them down hard and don't tie a knot on or below them. When they snag, you can pull the line through, pop on another and you're back in business.

The amount of weight itself is also important. If there's current, I up the weight by 1/3 to 1/2 of what I would normally use in that same depth with no current. Using 1/8 in 30 FOW makes no sense because the weight is BELOW the hook and the fish do not feel it until its to late. In super clear water and using a standard jig head rig, maybe. Exaggerated, you could have a pound of lead and still have fish pick up you bait. Also, if you're fishing a 4"-5" salt impregnated plastic, they are super buoyant and the added weight helps.

If you're fishing in and around trees, logs, weedlines, etc. you need heavier line. If you're out in open water fishing ledges and gravel patches, not so much. On Erie, when drop shotting I never go above 8lb and if the waters clear I tie on a 4-6lb fluoro leader. The rods and reels manufactured today are amazing. Why spend $400 - $500 on a rod and reel and spool it like it's 1970??

Oh, and tungsten...it's big bucks. It does make a difference in sensitivity IF you've got the equipment to compliment it. If you using a fiberglass rod and 15lb mono, the tungsten is a waste. IMHO. But with a decent rod, light line, etc. you can feel the difference between mud and gravel down 30 feet. Your money, you decide.

I used a lighter sinker because the heavier ones were constantly snagged up. With the lighter one and a slow drift it just slowly swam the bait an inch off the bottom and really whacked a lotta fish.. that was my reasoning in that particular situation.

I also found when fishing current (ie the grand for smallies) a heavier sinker was also counter productive as it snagged up constantly instead of bouncing over obstacles properly.

I guess it heavily depends on where you're fishing and what for.

I try and go as light as possible, but like it was mentioned above.. If it's windy/wavy you wanna get down quick... Going to try to dropshot for lakers next week as well, should be a fun time if the weather co-operates.

You can use any style of worm weight with a rubber peg, if the weight gets snagged steady pressure on it should pull the line out from the peg.

It's simple to improvise? Scraps of solid copper ground grounding wire can have an end easily flattened and a small hole drill in it and pegged. A decent set of side cutting pliers allows you to adjust the length and weight?

I also found when fishing current (ie the grand for smallies) a heavier sinker was also counter productive as it snagged up constantly instead of bouncing over obstacles properly.

not to be pedantic, but what you are doing there is called bottom bouncing rather than drop shotting. Folks use that technique on the Notty for bows. And, yes, a lighter weight is more effective---just letting it tick bottom every few seconds.

On lake st. clair I just use a tube. I will tie a stand out hook on about 18 inches from the tube. It's been quite deadly on the smallies this year. The ones that can resist the tube, can't resist the powerbait 4 inch minnows!

Bell weights work fine for me and are cheaper.

x2 I use bell weights to save $. I drop shot loads. I probably use a the drop shot technique more than any other and I have used every size of weight, every shape, colour, material etc and I think the bell sinker works just as well as my $1.25 per weight tungsten drop shot weights. Tungsten is heavier for its size so if you want a smaller weight and don't mind paying go for it.