Braid to Flouro - always breaking at the knot

tbayboy

Hey everyone. I usually start out with flouro leaders on a lot of my setups but I've had problems with the connections breaking just enough to make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. What ends up happening is that any sort of break - be it a snag or a large fish catching me with badly set drag - it breaks off at the braid to flouro knot.

I've noticed it most on the lighter lines (say 10lb power pro to 8-12 lb flouro). I use that fishing rivers a lot, dragging tubes and craws along the rocky bottoms and jigging for 'eyes - both of those result in a decent amount of snags and it's really annoying to loose 2-3' of leader and have to do a new uni to uni on the spot. I generally just swear and then fish straight braid the rest of the day.

So... what does every one else use? Any tips?

Barrel swivel.

It's worth the time and money.

I have to say I don't have a lot of problems with my set-up breaking at the uni-to-uni...but I do use barrels a fair amount of the time anyway. Especially if I'm using something that's going to cause a lot of twist. You'll have a hard time with a leader any longer than a couple of feet though because you'll be reeling the barrel into your eyes if it's too long and/or you're not paying attention.,

I have to say I don't have a lot of problems with my set-up breaking at the uni-to-uni...but I do use barrels a fair amount of the time anyway. Especially if I'm using something that's going to cause a lot of twist. You'll have a hard time with a leader any longer than a couple of feet though because you'll be reeling the barrel into your eyes if it's too long and/or you're not paying attention.,

There's no need for a leader to be so long that you can't cast because you're reeling the swivel into your guides... 18-24 inches.. I haven't found a situation yet that I needed something longer, regardless of species.

For me, I like to have my lure less than 12 inches from the tip of my rod when I'm casting but I like my leader to be at least 12 inches. So any time I do have a swivel tied on I don't feel as comfortable, confident or accurate in my casts. For those reasons I use a snap swivel instead with spoons and spinners.

I only just started using fluoro leaders (well..pline fluroclear...)and had my knot break on me yesterday at the fish-a-thon. I did a uni to uni but the next time I did extra wraps for the fluoro side. Didn't break on me the rest of the day even after getting into some legit snags.

I am not so sure about the whole 'fish can see the line' thing. I just like tying knots and cutting mono/fluoro over braid. Unless my knife is super sharp, I end up fraying the crap out of braid and it just looks unappealing.

**I also added a simple overhand knot to both the fluoro and braid side with the tag ends before snipping...not sure if it helped, but I am a believer in 'if you don't know knots, tie lots'

Edited by d_paluch

Some knots work better if the lines are close in diameter, some are better if there is a difference in diameter. Superglue is great insurance as well. I keep a couple of the instruction booklets from the spools of line because I can never remember which is which. A good pair of braided line cutters also are worth every penny.

Some knots work better if the lines are close in diameter, some are better if there is a difference in diameter. Superglue is great insurance as well. I keep a couple of the instruction booklets from the spools of line because I can never remember which is which. A good pair of braided line cutters also are worth every penny.

Good call on the braided line cutter, next time I'm at Sail or BPS I'll snag one.

Also thanks for the tip on superglue, that never even crossed my mind! Another tip with superglue, is it works WONDERS to close up cuts from line or hooks! Temporary of course but it works on the fly

Thanks for all the advice guys. For some reason I've never been a big swivel fan but I should give it a shot with a shorter leader. Also need to investigate some other knots - I do generally moisten them well but maybe superglue could be in order as well.

Sean

Double nail knot will solve your problems...

Mike P introduced me to the Tiefast tool a number of years ago and I use it for everything. Just did a demonstration knot for a friend using 30lb braid to 130lb Yozuri Fluoro... you'll slice through a glove before that knot will break. The only issue I've had with this knot is tying flea-flicker line to braid backing. The knot works but the flat profile of the FF doesn't look nice!

Also perfect for snelling hooks!

I use a uni to uni knot and never have issues. I used to use an Albright and a surgeons but I found that when casting because the floro tag is pointed down it catches more than a uni to uni as the floro tag is pointed up. I also use a longer leader than 12 inches, usually at least two feet. I don't like using barrels as they will damage you guides if you happen to reel it in too far.

http://seaguar.com/seaguar-community/knot-guide.htm

nail knots and double nail knots are very strong...

but for simple knot situations, for my every day use - salmon and bass - I use the surgeons knot.

four wraps and I'm good to go.

I'm just very careful when tightning the knot so it clinches properly.