Etobicoke creek?

Yes, trout and salmon run etobicoke creek. It is not a very good run, but certainly they swim up every river, ditch and storm culvert that runs off of Lake Ontario. I found a hen steelhead trapped halfway up a run off ditch last April to give you an example! I wouldn't have great expectations, but certainly they show up in etobicoke in small numbers as well.

I sample the mouth for the creek for the city of TO and frequently run into the Toronto Regional Conservation Authority out there, you'd be surprised what they've caught! Of course they're using that electroshock system haha but its always interesting to see whats hanging out in the waters!

On another board there was mention of people being charged with fishing too close to a place known locally as "the old broken dam", but they didn't say where it was exactly. In case I'm near there and want to avoid it, does anyone know where that is? I asked on the other board and got no reply.

On another board there was mention of people being charged with fishing too close to a place known locally as "the old broken dam", but they didn't say where it was exactly. In case I'm near there and want to avoid it, does anyone know where that is? I asked on the other board and got no reply.

That's that gnarly barrier north of the GO tracks. The OMNR consideres it a fishway and as such, there's no fishing within 25 yards downstream from it.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/3893091-anglers-fined-1-000-each-for-illegal-fishing-in-etobicoke-creek/

The term fishway in this case is a total joke, as it is no such thing and should be removed IMHO.

• 6 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Went fishing on Etobicoke Creek in Brampton behind the plaza on North East corner of Hurontario and Steeles. Caught some really nice big Chubb, River is clear and lots of fish. Great place for taking kids or beginners or anglers who want to fish locally. Use mealworms and you will get lots of bites and catches. Going back there on Sunday with my daughter. Trout should be there in a coupe of weeks

• 1 month later...

I checked the FMZ16 regulations and didn't see any exceptions to the regular trout and salmon season for Etobicoke Creek (i.e. no extended fall or year round season) so I would say it is currently closed for those species until the 4th Saturday in April. Since there are no seasons for coarse fish like Creek Chub or White Sucker, fishing isn't technically closed, though.

As far as the dam/fishway goes, and the charges from 2013, I am guessing it is the old dam on the Toronto Golf Club property. If so, I don't think there is a fishway there. There has always been a regulation about fishing downstream from a dam ("It is illegal to fish in any manner within 23 m downstream from the lower entrance to any fishway, obstruction, or leap"). I have always treated dams as obstructions and therefore fishing within 23 yards of them as illegal. And I my interpretation of the regs is correct, they were also fishing out of season so I'm surprised they weren't charge for that instead of the fishing below a dam rule.

And finally, the photo is a Creek Chub.

Jon

The trout run in the spring and the Salmon run in the fall up Etobicoke creek. A friend of mine caught a 40 Pounder just past the pier on the Etobicoke side. They run up the creek but they couldn't get up the broken dam because the water was too shallow. I seen a guy catch them and release them up above the dam. There is no dam there. I think a lot of people complained about the fish not being able to get past the dam. They had taken the wood out so now the fish can happily swim up the river. I don't know if it is illegal to fish there or not or if they are  still running around the mouth up to the dam or not. If I get a chance tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll go check. I live right beside the river just off Lakeshore Rd. Health issue keep me indoors  most Mondays.