Our Sunny, Hot Week on Lake Obakamiga

adempsey

While researching our annual fishing trip for the summer of 2012 I came across a fly-in fishing camp on Lake Obakamiga, or Buck Lake. I recall reading about Buck Lake and the adjacent lake, Granite Hill, a while back when I was looking into PK Resorts. PK Resorts runs an American Plan lodge on Granite Hill and they used to operate the two “outpost” camp sites on Buck Lake. I believe both Bingwood and Buck sites have about 8 housekeeping cabins each that sleep from 4 to 8 guests. A few years ago John and Shannon Moffat, who incidently worked at PK Resorts, purchased the camps on Buck and started up Buck and Bingwood Cabins.

I asked around on various internet forums about Buck Lake, but there was little recent information to be found. Ultimately we decided to head to Lake Nagagami that year. There was plenty of great information about the lake, the camps and the fishing. It's a great lake. However, while at Forde Lake Air on our way to Nagagami I picked up a brochure on Buck and Bingwood. It looked like a great place and a nice lake to fish so I figured I'd file it away for future reference.

Well, come the end of 2012 and my 2013 trip research began. I didn't spend much time on it because I already knew where I wanted to go – Lake Obakamiga. So, we booked a week at Buck from Sunday June 30th to Sunday July 7th. Buck operates on a Sunday to Sunday schedule while Bingwood operates on a Friday to Friday schedule. We prefer Sunday-Sunday over Friday-Friday, so Buck it was.

We arrived at the Forde Lake Air base early, but a group got there earlier and scooped our spot! Not that it mattered, our gear was weighed, loaded up and off we went in a very short time. The flight was only about 15 to 20 minutes, which was nice. It's a similar distance to Nagagami as well.

040_zpsd540c259.jpg

We arrived at the Buck camp dock to a friendly greeting from the camp owners John and Shannon, Leo the camp handyman\go-to guy, as well their large short haired St. Bernard, Marshall.

185_zps8b21b93d.jpg

580991_393467447391072_2041996803_n.jpg

Off to cabin#2 I went. Our cabin was reasonably nice. A fairly standard housekeeping cabin with hot/cold running water, fridge, gas stove, a wood stove and a BBQ on the deck. There were two bedrooms, each with two single beds and mattresses. The bathroom had a shower, toilet and sink with hot/cold running water. Everything we needed. There was a kitchen table and a few chairs, but no couch. Not sure why, but one of my biggest complaints would be the lack of anywhere to lounge inside. The kitchen chairs were just not comfortable. Shannon assured me that would be remedied in the near future.

206_zps74f9a57d.jpg

216_zpsa1bc63f1.jpg

217_zps58c48e99.jpg

218_zps3506f65f.jpg

214_zps43a5302f.jpg

The camps grounds were great. Very clean, well maintained and spacious. Located on a point, the camp was always nice and breezey. There were also plenty of trees for shade as well. Outside our cabin we had plenty of space to sit and relax in the Adirondack chairs. The cabin also has it's own fire pit and a brand new private dock! The cabins on the property are spaced well apart from each other so there is plenty of privacy. Maybe even too much if you prefer to socialize a lot.

061_zps6dfaf442.jpg

205_zpsf1f8c06b.jpg

203_zps6827f925.jpg

173_zpsc6a625a5.jpg

Although there were only three of us we found two boats docked at our cabin when we arrived. One was the upgraded deluxe boat and the other was the standard 14' Naden tinny with an electric start 15hp Yamaha, two swivel seats and a sonar. A great little boat for sure. However, the deluxe boat was REALLY nice. A 16' MirroCraft with a 25hp electric start Nissan, flat floor, sonar, live well and three padded swivel seats. A great roomy boat, although somewhat heavy and slow with three on board, two was just perfect.

195_zps3fc338ed.jpg

194_zpsd4f2b096.jpg

So, what about the fishing?

Well, Lake Obakamiga is a relatively large water body. It's basically shaped like the letter “E”, with one of the fingers the large main basin of the lake and the other two fingers are long, relatively shallow and narrow. A lake with loads of possibility and plenty of places to fish.

560505_449953681742448_264323240_n.jpg

After we unpacked our gear John came over and gave us a run down of the lake and the boats. He marked our complimentary lake depth map with plenty of places to try for Walleye, Pike and Perch. So, with our marked map and our container of worms, off we went! Unfortunately, our first day wasn't very productive. Did we fish too shallow? In the wrong spots? Was it the weather? I have no idea. Probably all those things. It was sunny and hot that day, which remained that way for the rest of the week, with the exception of one day.

We fished hard all week. I think I burned more gas on this trip than any in the past. We traveled A LOT! It was nice though. Great lake, varied structure and quite sheltered. For the most part the fishing was slow. Probably a combination of the hot sunny weather and location. However, when we found the right spots we nailed em. These weren't little eater Walleyes either. The majority of all Walleye we caught were over 18”, with most being 20” to 22”. Nice healthy fish.

100_zps4420eec0.jpg

102_zps7f53ce67.jpg

We also managed to find a nice weed bed in 12' of water full of decent sized Perch. I love Perch fishing. Sure, you don't normally go to a fly in for panfish, but still, I enjoy spending an afternoon or two doing. It's especially fun when the Pike come flying out of the water chasing your hooked fish! We caught dozens of nice Perch one afternoon, but only kept about 6 to eat. (They were bigger than they look in that photo!)

211_zps9d4008d0.jpg

We didn't do too much Pike fishing. I am not sure why, probably because we were so determined to find those Walleye. We still managed a few 31” fish, but that's about the biggest we boated. There are plenty of areas that look like they would hold some good sized fish though. I had many bite-offs that I can only imagine what was at the other end (probably just a rock, but I can dream!).

207_zps3a3bd5ef.jpg

210_zpsed0853bf.jpg

On Thursday we also had a visit from the OPP and MNR. They flew in on a nice Beaver and were checking some of the boats on the water. They eventually came into camp and checked things out. They even came into our cabin and checked the fish in our freezer and our fishing licence. I am honestly happy to see that.

181_zpse6b05cb4.jpg

Overall we had a great trip. I'd love to go back. John, Shannon and their two boys and staff were excellent hosts. Very attentive to their guests and always on the ball. Heck they were even missing several staff members. I sure didn't notice. They also put on a nice shore lunch that was amazing! We even got a complimentary loaf of home made bread. It was really tasty. I honestly don't know if you could find better hosts.

John and Shannon are working really hard to renovate the cabins on both sites as well. I think they've done a great job so far over the last couple of years. Our cabin was partially renovated, with a new dock and some tongue and groove wood paneling inside. The bathroom is scheduled for a complete reno as well. While we were there Hearst Air flew in several loads of lumber and three new boats! Lots of things happening at this place, including a large cabin being rebuilt. There is no doubt that it's going to get better and better.

077_zpsde6679a8.jpg

178_zps1e2bea32.jpg

I also learned they recently acquired four outpost camps on lakes near Hornepayne from Oliver's Fly-Ins. They haven't been fished in several years and two of them should be opening up this season, if not, next season for sure. Definitely something I am considering for next year.

Sorry for the lack of fish photos. For some reason I just never take my camera in the boat with me. Each year I say the same thing, but never manage to bring it. Next year will be the year! Regardless, there are plenty of awesome photos on the Buck and Bingwood Facebook site. Check it out!

Edited by FishLogic

Thanks for posting!

This is a report I have been waiting for (and if memory serves me correctly Mike B is heading to this lodge as well) as we are trying to nail down our 2014 destination before the end of the summer

Interested in knowing how you would rate Buck Lake vs. Nagagami

Right now we are looking at 3 American Plan Lodges - PK Resort/Granite Hill Lodge, Waltons Kayvee Lodge on Nagagami and Loch Island/Lochalsh Lodge on Wabatongushi lakes - from what I can see services/cabins etc are all pretty even - so fishing would be the determining factor for us (thinking it will be and end of August trip)

If you are more comfortable sending me a PM - no worries

Cheers

Gordy

Thanks guys.

I think the fishing would be similar on Nagagami, Granite Hill and Obakamiga. The Walleye are definitely on the larger side compared to other lakes I've fished in Ontario. It was a challenge finding fish under 18" on Nagagami and Buck. We fished Granite Hill for a short time as well. I think you can do really well on any of them. Ultimately it depends on how you like to fish. Nagagami is pretty much a large basin with few islands/points. Much of the fishing is in the main basin right out front of Kay Vee, which has some nice drop offs and flats where the fish are holding. If the wind really kicks up though it can get rough. Personally, I hate fishing the same spot every day, but a lot guys do it. The trip from Granite Hill to Buck is about 20 minutes, personally not what I would bother with each day. I doubt you'd have to any way.

I honestly don't think it would be fair for me to compare the fishing on the lakes since I spent a single week on each. The weather was very different on each trip as well and the ice out was much later this year. That being said, we did catch more fish on Nagagami; and most spots we found produced. On Buck, we spent a lot of time searching around but when we found the spots they produced nice fish. There were just so many more places to try on Buck. I think I like the structure of Buck Lake better, but much more travel was required. Also, I admit it was somewhat busy the week we were there and if someone was fishing on a point or something I would try somewhere else. I try not to fish next to people on these types of trips, and on some days, that was hard. Although, there were a few spots on Nagagami that were similar and had plenty of boats clustered together.

Personally, I think Granite Hill could be a slightly better choice. You have two large lakes to fish if you want and plenty of wind protection. The entrance to the river from Granite Hill to Buck is fairly close to the lodge as well. However, if you just want to hop in your boat, take a 10 minute ride out and start fishing, Kay Vee would be perfect. Although, I did see a few boats fishing the 10 to 20 foot drop off which isn't that far out from the Granite Hill Lodge.

I've considered Loch Island, but have not ventured there just yet.

Kabinakagami is a nice lake too btw =) Pine Portage Lodge seemed to get some good reviews as well.

I think it's going to be a difficult choice, but whatever you choose I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Thanks guys.

I think the fishing would be similar on Nagagami, Granite Hill and Obakamiga. The Walleye are definitely on the larger side compared to other lakes I've fished in Ontario. It was a challenge finding fish under 18" on Nagagami and Buck. We fished Granite Hill for a short time as well. I think you can do really well on any of them. Ultimately it depends on how you like to fish. Nagagami is pretty much a large basin with few islands/points. Much of the fishing is in the main basin right out front of Kay Vee, which has some nice drop offs and flats where the fish are holding. If the wind really kicks up though it can get rough. Personally, I hate fishing the same spot every day, but a lot guys do it. The trip from Granite Hill to Buck is about 20 minutes, personally not what I would bother with each day. I doubt you'd have to any way.

I honestly don't think it would be fair for me to compare the fishing on the lakes since I spent a single week on each. The weather was very different on each trip as well and the ice out was much later this year. That being said, we did catch more fish on Nagagami; and most spots we found produced. On Buck, we spent a lot of time searching around but when we found the spots they produced nice fish. There were just so many more places to try on Buck. I think I like the structure of Buck Lake better, but much more travel was required. Also, I admit it was somewhat busy the week we were there and if someone was fishing on a point or something I would try somewhere else. I try not to fish next to people on these types of trips, and on some days, that was hard. Although, there were a few spots on Nagagami that were similar and had plenty of boats clustered together.

Personally, I think Granite Hill could be a slightly better choice. You have two large lakes to fish if you want and plenty of wind protection. The entrance to the river from Granite Hill to Buck is fairly close to the lodge as well. However, if you just want to hop in your boat, take a 10 minute ride out and start fishing, Kay Vee would be perfect. Although, I did see a few boats fishing the 10 to 20 foot drop off which isn't that far out from the Granite Hill Lodge.

I've considered Loch Island, but have not ventured there just yet.

Kabinakagami is a nice lake too btw =) Pine Portage Lodge seemed to get some good reviews as well.

I think it's going to be a difficult choice, but whatever you choose I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Thanks - a thoughtful and thorough reply that is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Gordy