Carp fly fishing!!

Lots of carp in Hamilton harbour - that's where the fish in my avatar came from on a fly, no need to chum, just go for a walk and find some

Fly-wise - woolly buggers and crayfish patterns as Chris suggests will do the trick. The hardest part is not spooking them with your cast.

if you tie your own flies you can cut/buy foam eyes, often called booby eyes....one of my favourite carp flies is a foam eye on a dry fly hook or wide gap finese hook, and then a clump of maraboo, that's it, quick easy and cheap.....it's a visual strike which is less boring and not as easy to miss as a carp on a nymph...and you can literally just let it sit there for minutes on end and the maraboo will move with the slightest current....it's my fly fishing solution to carp rising to floating bread, works amazing...wading and sight casting when you find a pod of carp, cast about 20' ahead and just let it sit there, as they work their way feeding towards the fly, works great

can't post with photobucket right now, but here is a link to a booby example

http://www.kamfly.com/index.php/fly-fishing-articles/20-fishing-with-booby-flies

Edited by bare foot wader

My dad used to say to everyone "any fly will catch a carp" and sure enough when he went fly fishing he'd close his eyes and grab any fly in the box...... Then wrap it in pillsbury crescent roll dough, sit and wait. Yeah. Dad never really understood fly fishing.