Truck question - Ford trac-loc system

Joeytier

Just bought an 89 xlt lariat 150. So far it seems to be a great truck...low kms for the age and relatively rust free (clearly well maintained) with the awesome torquey 302.

Its a 2 banger but its got the trac loc system. Ive been trying to get some information on these rear ends but cant find too much. Ive seen them described as positrac as well as a limited slip style rear end, but cant seem to really distinguish what mine is. I figured at least a few of you would have had some experience with these trucks...

Thanks

I believe this is what you're after, if you haven't already read it...

Built by Dana Spicer for use in Spicer rearends, AMC rearends, and 1998 & older 10.25" Ford rearends. The old design built up until about 1989 was weak. The 1990 and newer design is fairly strong and even rivals the Powr-Lok for impact durability, but the clutches do not provide as much lock-up force and tend to wear out in about 50,000 miles if used in the rear. Works better in the front of vehicles because it's not aggressive. The main selling points for this design are the fact that clutch chatter is almost non-existent, and it is very inexpensive. These two points make it a great unit for many applications and a very good value for the money. This unit makes a great front limited slip and works well for those who need a little extra traction but cannot tolerate clutch chatter. The Trac-Lok came factory installed in many models such as D28, D44, D60, AMC 20, AMC35, 10.25" Ford. The problem with this unit is that it is not very aggressive and power transfer is minimal. Also, 1988 and earlier units tend to break fairly easily. (1piece case, 2 pinion gears, and 2 tab clutches). (factory)

The term "banger" is usually used to describe a 4 cylinder engine and I think you are confusing it with 2 or 4 wheel drive. We'll cut you some slack on the "torquey 302" comment because if you came from a "4 banger", it would seem pretty "torquey".

Don't sweat the rear end, just get it serviced and drive it. There's a million of them out there still operating fine probably without any maintenance!

Got any pictures of the new ride?