How do I change a spare on boat trailer?

fishinggeek

Apply parking brakes on your vehicle, loosen lug nuts on trailer wheel you want to change before jacking it up. you can choke both sides of the other side to be on the safe side.

most bottle jacks are too tall for the boat trailer axles, I carry a scissor jack for the trailer along with a piece of 18" long 2x12 lumber in case I have to jack it on a soft shoulder.

Be sure the lug wrench for your truck will also fit the lug nuts on your trailer, cause their not all the same size. And loosen them off & re-torque before you hit the road to be sure the nuts aren't seized onto the threads. You don't want to find that when your stuck on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Having just experienced this, the advice already given is right on.

I'll just emphasize the following:

1) Make sure you have the proper tire iron/wrench to loosen the trailer tire lug nuts....they may not be the same size as your the one that comes with your vehicle. Mine were different.

2) Make sure before you leave that your spare is properly inflated.

3) Your vehicle jack will whorl just fine. However, make sure you know where it is (mine was practically hidden), and maybe even make sure you know how to use it, rather than learning OTJ.

I don’t want to sound harsh or anything; but with you asking this question shows your lack of experience. Nothing wrong with that we all go through different learning curves.

I would suggest practicing this tire change at home; so that if you do have a flat while out there; you’ll have more confidence in your ability.

The next thing I would suggest is to get yourself a CAA Plus RV membership.

http://caaneo.ca/automotive/index.jsp?caaUrl=caa-plus-rv

Dan.