Loon Battle, Was I wrong?

LOL, a couple years ago I saw a 3 year old try to "talk" with one, it came back and bit him in the back of the knee, and dropped him, guess he wasn't quite fluent yet, huh? ;)

Maybe he was more fluent than you give him credit for- perhaps he told him off ?

I got chased off one of my spots on the river by a pair of swans. I was walking the shoreline and came around a bend and they were right in front of me about ten ft. away (3 meters for you younger guys) They both stood up with wings spread and started coming toward me hissing and honking like mad. Then the bigger one lowered his head and charged me. I backed up quick and got up into the bushes and then got out of there quick. They were going to kill me.

I've seen plenty of Loons in my travels but have never witnessed a Loon battle. Probably a mating thing. A few times I've been fortunate to see a couple of hundred Loons in a flock in the fall.What an incredible sight.

Loons are territorial and can be agressive. Last year a male chased behind my boat pulling away from the dock when it thought I was a threat to the female and baby 50 m out in the lake. Also had a seagull dive agressively at me when I got too close to its little island. Actually was swinging a paddle at it.

I had that happen to me on Ahmic Lake a seagull was diving at me. I have a video somewhere of it and will post soon.