Camping ideas?

Jarfish

So the Fiancé and I want to plan a camping trip in early august but cant really decide where to go. I'm located in Collingwood and don't really want to drive further then 10 hours. I wouldn't mind going after some nice pickerel or specs. We also wouldn't mind possibly renting a boat if the cost is right! (Cheaper is always better for me lol). Any suggestions? I think we would prefer having the site on the water so we wouldn't have to drive far.

Thanks!

Jake

Yea pretty much lol. Thinking somewhere up north around Sudbury or Spanish I've never camped in that area so I'm hoping some of you fine folks have some recomendations!

Edited by Jakefromcollingwood

If I've said it once.. I've said it 50 times here on OFC. For the cost of gas money to get there... and for you a boat rental on top... you can do Lake Temagami for FREE otherwise!

You can camp on one of several well used and prepared (some with box privies) campsites around the entire lake on Crown land for FREE. Use the town dock to park the boat and shop for free.. park you car behind the train station again for free. Why pay $27 a night to use the Provincial Park (other than to help keep it open) when you can camp almost directly across from it on the first Crown campsite..for free. (and drive over at night to the PPark, tie to the outside of the dock and use the comfort station like about 50 of my neighbours that do so on a regular basis as they don't have indoor plumbing in their cottages).

A bit of a boat ride.... but you can boat up the lake on a nice day (with a minimum 16'r to be safe) and walk a short portage trail into at least two stocked speck lakes.

On the main lake you can fish for pike, smallies, lake trout, pickeral (we have no walleye in Temagami) and whitefish. Can be a tough fish at times, but I'm more than willing to point you in the right direction if you chose to head that way. Heck, by August we may even get lucky with Jen's treatment and be back at the lake. Have never minded taking someone out rigging for lakers if they present themselves at the dock!

Also... I can help line you up with a rental boat and motor, either from my neighbour on Campfire Island, Lakeland Airways or Temagami Marine.

Edited by irishfield

If I've said it once.. I've said it 50 times here on OFC. For the cost of gas money to get there... and for you a boat rental on top... you can do Lake Temagami for FREE otherwise!

You can camp on one of several well used and prepared (some with box privies) campsites around the entire lake on Crown land for FREE. Use the town dock to park the boat and shop for free.. park you car behind the train station again for free. Why pay $27 a night to use the Provincial Park (other than to help keep it open) when you can camp almost directly across from it on the first Crown campsite..for free. (and drive over at night to the PPark, tie to the outside of the dock and use the comfort station like about 50 of my neighbours that do so on a regular basis as they don't have indoor plumbing in their cottages).

A bit of a boat ride.... but you can boat up the lake on a nice day (with a minimum 16'r to be safe) and walk a short portage trail into at least two stocked speck lakes.

On the main lake you can fish for pike, smallies, lake trout, pickeral (we have no walleye in Temagami) and whitefish. Can be a tough fish at times, but I'm more than willing to point you in the right direction if you chose to head that way. Heck, by August we may even get lucky with Jen's treatment and be back at the lake. Have never minded taking someone out rigging for lakers if they present themselves at the dock!

Also... I can help line you up with a rental boat and motor, either from my neighbour on Campfire Island, Lakeland Airways or Temagami Marine.

SO THIS!!!

Wow Irish, I think you sold me on Temagami thank you so much for all the info! I would definitely love to pick your brain about where to stay and about some of the fishing spots if you wouldn't mind helping me out!

Edited by Jakefromcollingwood

Lots of other places in Ontario to see and explore, but if you want to do it as cheaply as possible then this is your place! Scenery is great and fishing can be too, but as I said it can be a tough go at times. Send me a PM and once company is gone here I'll try to help you out and line you up with Rental choices that you can call if you choose to make the trek.

Here's Lloyd sitting on the shore of one of the Speck lakes... 2009

sept2009s.jpg

Edited by irishfield