What to put in a minnow trap

Rizzo

Put nothing in there. The trick is location, location, location. A small stream/creek with a neck down....place the trap in the narrowest area of the flow...they'll have to travel through the trap to get to the next pool...and try they will.

Put nothing in there. The trick is location, location, location. A small stream/creek with a neck down....place the trap in the narrowest area of the flow...they'll have to travel through the trap to get to the next pool...and try they will.

BINGO.

BINGO.

Roy is SUCH a know it all. However he is correct.

As long as there isn't much current try Quaker Rolled Oats. Take a handfull of rolled oats in your hand and make a fist, then dunk your hand in the water. Take your hand out of the water and squeeze some of the excess water out of oats. You should have a wet clump of oats in your hand. Put that in your trap and slowly put your trap in the water. It will break up and as long as there isn't much of a current it should work. Minnows love rolled oats.

huh lots of good ideas guys! I grew up trapping minnows and we got stale bread from the local bakery that they were going to throw away.. about $1 for a bag that was up to my chest at the time..Obviously it didn't work for you rizzo.. guess your minnows just don't like bread, but we trap them by the dozens in our local creek with bread no problem... ( no boddleneck or anything just a deep pool ). Good luck!

Last time i was at camp.. I pulled my minnow trap outta the water and left it on the bank of my favorite pond. While we were home they had a huge rainfall and the water in the pond went up 2 feet!! The next time i checked there was the trap... with no bait in it... in 1 foot of water and FULL of minnows... location is key!! Shade and cover is always good.

I use regular salted crackers... I think they're "premium" brand.... The ones people put in soup...

Also.... As mentioned current effects them... Minnows almost always face into the current... So you want the trap set the same angle as the current.... This makes it easier for the minnows to swim in....