Simcoe Opener

Dan668

Quick report, had to work the saturday, but left early and decided to take a chance with the weather. Left Mississauga around 1:30, pouring rain on the 401, wasnt a good sign. Once we got on the 404, not a drop. Launched at 3. Not many boaters on Simcoe, late afternoon throughout the evening. Lake was quiet and calm.

Fish seemed to be scattered throughout the depths. Tried for largies, alot were hitting the live target frog, but couldnt hook up. Fish were small. A few nice 12-13" perch surprisingly in the shallows also. Decided to take the run to Thorah which proved to be a good choice.

3b3767f9-c195-4b2a-91e3-75c8185110e2_zps

Pics off my photobucket, not sure which resolution is best for this site. This was the biggest of the day.

0450815e-6a48-4a2e-8866-af04358889d6_zps

dc39e595-faea-4d15-869c-fc2e7a43bcc2_zps

My brother with a nice sized fish.

All smallmouth came off cranks. We fished water 5-15ft deep. Landed around fifteen. Not a crazy day number wise but alot of nice fish early in the season (17-18"), if i have time tomorrow, ill see if i can get some more pics up. Love fishing Simcoe.

Edited by danbob

Quick report, had to work the saturday, but left early and decided to take a chance with the weather. Left Mississauga around 1:30, pouring rain on the 401, wasnt a good sign. Once we got on the 404, not a drop. Launched at 3. Not many boaters on Simcoe, late afternoon throughout the evening. Lake was quiet and calm.

Fish seemed to be scattered throughout the depths. Tried for largies, alot were hitting the live target frog, but couldnt hook up. Fish were small. A few nice 12-13" perch surprisingly in the shallows also. Decided to take the run to Thorah which proved to be a good choice.

3b3767f9-c195-4b2a-91e3-75c8185110e2_zps

Pics off my photobucket, not sure which resolution is best for this site. This was the biggest of the day.

0450815e-6a48-4a2e-8866-af04358889d6_zps

dc39e595-faea-4d15-869c-fc2e7a43bcc2_zps

My brother with a nice sized fish.

All smallmouth came off cranks. We fished water 5-15ft deep. Landed around fifteen. Not a crazy day number wise but alot of nice fish early in the season (17-18"), if i have time tomorrow, ill see if i can get some more pics up. Love fishing Simcoe.

Nice fish. Where abouts in Thorah were you trying? I was out on the 23rd...but did not get anything. Like you was throwing cranks - best chance I had was near the shoal in Thorah - green marker. Had a follower - really nice size - but never really attacked the lure. Cast back a couple of times, but no joy.

I am still trying to figure out SB, and the Thorah area..I have gone out there twice...last time the weather was horrible, so ended up having to leave.

Too be honest, if i mark fish ill stick around. They were all over in the shallower water when i was out. The big one was caught on the shoal on the opposite side of Thorah in 5ft of water. I tried a few other waypoints in deeper water but wasn't marking many fish. My go to lure is a lipless crank by Spro, works every time. Most of the fish came along Thorah Island, the whole area there is loaded with smallies.