Spring Woes & Whoas Fishing Report.

Moosebunk

Never met my mother's father, the man who passed on his bum chin. In fact, other than a faded picture in memory and some sentimental genetics, sitting here today I can't even think what his name is. A soldier in WWII he left this earth 20 plus years before my time, and nothing has ever been said. However, until this past April my step-grandfather was there my entire life, and although it seems as if I only knew Norm just a little more, until his long struggles with lung disease took his last, hard breath, he was there.

The spring came in angry. After our family laid Norm to rest on the 2nd, the first few weeks of April life kinda sang off like some lousy country song. The 3rd I picked up a bug which really zapped the energy for about 2 1/2 weeks. The truck engine done died, just after having a front-end diff installed, and the wife's car went in twice too leaving me without a vehicle for nearly two weeks. My buddy Kev lost his best friend, at far too young an age. Too much winter augering, I picked up a stubborn epicondylitis for the first time which still doesn't want to go away. While transferring a critically injured patient to Ottawa in the ambulance, a triple IV pump broke off it's pole landing on my knee, this leading to a week of no good. And come May things didn't improve either, for I was left no choice but to cancel out on a fly-in fishing trip to the Attawapiskat, and then later in the month I received word that friends and past co-workers lost Dustin and others when an ORNGE helicopter went down in Moosonee...... On the work front I had one of those remarkably trying days. Male in 20's, small car smoked from behind at high-speed, basically detached his head or rattled his brain to bleed. Impossible to describe all of what three of us needed to do to keep him alive long enough for me to transfer with him and the Medics to the city. The toll on this one was exhausting...

How was the weather, did it suck? Hardly noticed.

Been awhile it seems since writing anything, so maybe best to prepare for a long-winded one. Been stock-piling spring photos too and like always, rather than post weekly, when finding a long days downtime I'd rather just pick out some best pics and package it all up. This here be the spring recap.

Before all the woes, fishing was off to a great start. Spring steelheading was something new, and of all the fishing this past while, it's those days with friends Mike and Luke, and some great bows caught, that could very well be a highlight of the season. Walking the river, placing the cast, controlling the drift and seeing that float drop is definitely an all encompassing, different kind of cool fishing experience. Time this year was the most rewarding yet, and the hope is to build on that with trips ahead. Really quite appreciated these fish and days fishing, and considering the horror stories of "loogans" and lined banks of anglers, on our trips we found more than enough free space to ourselves. Some favorite fish...

001_zps9d9c806a.jpg

019_zpscabf3a63.jpg

016_zps65cd0233.jpg

During the down and out weeks after steelie fishing it got into my head that it was time to sell the WarCanoe. Pulling off the winter tarps there was some first wood rot in spots and work to be done. Summer sun is hard on a wooden boat, trailering not much easier, and the waters down here are full of strange fungi spores which get into the wood and expand. It came to mind that up in the northern cold, running rivers like it used to, is the best place for a longer life and it's end of days. So, up on Kijiji she went... and I waited... and waited. A few fellas showed interest but, not really, and some were just too far away to come and get it. Again the hope was it would go north, and one guy from Waskaganish seemed to really want it. No sale once May arrived, when it was almost time to start hitting the walleye I couldn't take it. Keel and splash guard rot got routed or cut out, repaired or replaced, a couple dry trouble spots on the gunnels took some touch-ups and a gouge in the canvas was filled with some fiberglass. Honda slapped on the back and the WarCanoe was ready to go another year, and in most respects now I'm quite happy with that. No pavement, no cell service, no guides, no luxuries along the way, we've got some amazing history exploring the WarCanoe and I, traveling and fishing the northern rivers of James Bay.

056_zpsf149522d.jpg

055_zps344d15d8.jpg

054_zps092bc705.jpg

053_zps3a6b2585.jpg

052_zps2835792f.jpg

051_zps92a05487.jpg

It was about a week before May when fishing resumed. Kicked off those days with lakers. When the weather forecast looked alright, my buddy Pat and I took off for Lady O to try our luck on some big pan greasers. The previous year with my father we came up empty during an insane midge hatch, well low and behold we timed it again perfectly to fish this years even more insane midge hatch. Wind saved us from digesting swarming bugs with our eyes, but the fishing was tough again. However, did manage to make it worth the trip with one tank. Won't be the last time fishing lakers on that stage.

012_zpsef37dc97.jpg

013_zpse15ab845.jpg

Trollin' and riggin' is always great, but with some summer plans for that, it's nice to take advantage of ice-out casting opportunities when available. Sight fishing and chucking lures to shallow cruising laketrout, it's really quite a rush to have your offering creamed by a charging fish. Having some fun playing them out on light gear and seeing them swim away unscathed (except the odd BBQ'er) into their frigid waters is hard to beat. The numbers of fish can be awesome too. This window always closes fast, yet with a couple friends along it's definitely worth peering in for a look. This spring Huddy and Patty joined me in the Lund and the company was surely welcome.

007_zps9e06646a.jpg

008_zps36e9cf5f.jpg

009_zpsf5123d37.jpg

010_zpsc01e2804.jpg

011_zps2eeb8c9d.jpg

004_zpsc5012799.jpg

005_zps81ddb683.jpg

006_zps307494c1.jpg

What would be spring without a little crappie fishing. Table fare they're great. Sociability they're perfect. Fun factor is high. There has to be no easier fish to catch during the month after ice out than crappies so, why not hit 'em up? This spring took off on tour several times to have my father, my oldest friend Fraser, usual suspect Patty and new buddy Doug join along. A solo trip with perfect timing actually turned out to be the banner day of all though, for during four hours one afternoon, anchored, another boat circling, I had the chance to experience the best crappie numbers in my life. If it wasn't every cast, it was every second cast a fish came over the gunnel. When I called a buddy up on the way home to tell him about it, we just had to meet on the road so he could raid the well a little and steal enough of a meal for himself. Some new spots, some old, it'll be filling to revisit these spring grocery stores in the future.

016_zpsa85eaaf3.jpg

017_zps5e8fdb42.jpg

014_zps4cec5bf4.jpg

018_zpsee65047b.jpg

Strange story before crappie fishing with Doug is we both showed up at the launch with our boats. A gentleman, being closer to home he returned his while I took the hour and a half wait to come good on a promise with an old friend. At a nearby school Caroline teaches Kindergarten, and she asked me to stop in and speak with the kids about nursing, healthcare and the North. It was a remarkably feel-good morning. I had been reluctant to do this for some odd reason, but kids are little people that I often see at work by the 100's each year, so upon arriving at school I found my cool. This class though, thirty of them at once, all energetic, inquisitive, individual, wild and coming right at me with hands raised, questions to ask, stories to tell and things to show, it is exhausting stuff and my hat goes off to teachers who do this day in and day out for our children. During our visit the kids learned some Cree words, heard some northern and nursing stories, and were taught a little about CPR. Then it was off to meet Doug and that was equally great. An exceptionally nice dood.

028_zpsdadc48ab.jpg

027_zpsb4f58b13.jpg

026_zpsf9d638f3.jpg

019_zps2454d9f2.jpg

Two walleye openers this year, division 18 and 15 are a week apart. Plans to hang out for a day with friends up in 15, for the 18 opener I just slipped out a short while to get a fix. This spring the eye fishing is a little off-keel. Wonky weather and water temps could be to blame? Maybe it's water snakes eating up the supply? But seriously, of all the fishing in the past month, the eyes have needed the most work to get results. No skunks but an almost happened... and so even though the fishing has been tough, rather than quit and sell the gear it'll just require more time and fine tuning. Gotta respect the eyes around here, they're often a serious challenge.

041_zpsf1065e4e.jpg

020_zpsfb60ddeb.jpg

022_zps92088ced.jpg

023_zps524efb9d.jpg

024_zpsc5ecf051.jpg

040_zpsa790305a.jpg

In preparation for summer trips I usually hit the vice on a couple rainy days each spring. This year so far, about 30 smaller 1/4-ounce bucktail jigs have been tied, a couple big 5-inch & 1-ounce laker jigs have proved tasty, and more inline bucktails will need to be finished. Sniffing laquer to dizzy, sneezing from fur and feathers, and this season swatting skitters in the garage, it'd almost make more sense to maybe try and jump on some wagon to a couple ProStaff deals rather than suffer the work hazards of producing things for myself. That said, when I peg giant speckles, pike, or lakers on one of these hand-tied creations, it'll be worth it.

032_zpsbb16dc8f.jpg

034_zpsa29335ae.jpg

035_zpsd578093b.jpg

Continued...

Been a tonne of windy or rainy days this spring and that's been OK for the eye fishing, but no good for lakers or gar really. Well, it was one such windy day that after finishing up some yardwork in the morning it was decided that afternoon I'd head to Lanark for lunch, then hit the K&P trail for a run on the quad. Snow Road Station to Barryvale is an easy ride on this old railbed, traveling a good distance along Antoine Creek before reaching Lavant Station. Soon after Lavant, it picks up alongside South Branch Clyde Creek before finally joining the Clyde River at Clyde Forks. Further on you pass Flower Station and a chain of smaller lakes before finishing at the Calabogie Golf Course in Barryvale. As the crow flies about 40 kilometers... and being an old railway it's turns in the road are rather tame, so bike distance wouldn't be much further. A few blown down trees and couple washout spots on route, the bush was lush green and the waters flowing through the hillsides were frothing. Beaver, deer, muskrat, turtles, tadpoles, a small group of photographers and two pairs of cyclists were all the wildlife that was spotted this day. It's a perfect noon to suppertime tour for anyone. Sixty pics down to twenty.

059_zps823727db.jpg

060_zpse76951b5.jpg

061_zps886148cd.jpg

062_zpsfc141ba9.jpg

063_zps10293bec.jpg

064_zps6a76940e.jpg

065_zps3a6e35e9.jpg

066_zps155d12b1.jpg

067_zpsd42bdda3.jpg

068_zpse311c5b5.jpg

070_zps36fed144.jpg

071_zpse5d3bb22.jpg

072_zpsf72fb70d.jpg

073_zps5f88602f.jpg

074_zpsbb45af57.jpg

075_zps30451c9d.jpg

076_zpsefdb3285.jpg

077_zpsfa803378.jpg

078_zpsf07f5865.jpg

079_zps07ecfefb.jpg

Other than select lakes, Big Rideau and many others do not open to fishing laketrout until the end of May. This fishery is exceptional for both jigging and trolling bigger than average lube toobs. First trip out with a long time online angler named Matt, turned out to be a great morning of gabbing about all things fishy while managing a few fish too. Next morning out the weather was mint and the fish co-operated big time. Then another day, Mike joined me for a go and even though the bite was cut in half, we still put some goodies in the boat on a windy, rainy morn. Out again on Dads Day morn, the bite was solid during a monsoonish downpour so, for three hours I just let rain soak through everything while releasing fish. Trolling the big water, casting ice-out and now vertical jigging lakers, in just over a months time one can really get a solid variety of laketrout opportunities in. In now only three seasons fishing spring lakers, catching on fast to this complete fishery has been totally rewarding. Just something about the heavy taker and hard shaker of a doggin' laker.

029_zpsa6f4cdd8.jpg

033_zps3b99f033.jpg

031_zps5a226fe7.jpg

058_zps66f6c269.jpg

057_zps7149d5c4.jpg

080_zps3c3e6913.jpg

June 15th bass were underway here in Division 18. The inaugural season for the week earlier opener, I figured it would be a bed raping... but what do I know? Only once before have I fished bass on opening day, and that was three years ago for largies. Past two seasons have chosen to go to work instead. While people were slaying in the sunshine this year, I was stuck in the E.R. helping remove fish hooks and ticks from people. My bass opener came afterwards, and when it did some smallies were on the docket. Snuck out twice actually for two quick fixes through the following week and banged up some real chunkers along with a couple surprise bucketmouths. Two opposite days requiring two different approaches to get those bigguns to turn their heads, and in the end the bass were worth waiting for afterall.

085_zpsf5bb4d0f.jpg

086_zps05fbb3de.jpg

087_zpsf1f04adc.jpg

088_zps298f7625.jpg

089_zps28dba346.jpg

090_zpsdd7a5f2a.jpg

091_zpsa78a9ae9.jpg

092_zps7e1d23e8.jpg

093_zpsa96477a8.jpg

One other fish specie that topped the spring fishing list was the gar. An oddish, cool weather year and some interesting developments along the way, I can say it has surprisingly been the best big fish year friends and I have experienced together since day one. Although last week may have been the end of the season for me, gar are one fish that I look forward to each year and have since ever catching my first. A hundred plus pictures to sift through and plenty to consider, that full report will have to find a time and space of it's own someday soon.

G37_zpsdf7123aa.jpg

With so many different species to chase in the spring it's difficult to decide what and when. Remembering my first season home here four years ago, I recall the evenings before planning to head out the next day were actually somewhat stressful. Where was often the question, or for what? With many options the task of choosing a fish or place to fish was daunting, but you have to get started some place. This spring in the journal it's noted that after one outing in April, I fished a 100th new body of water since relocating in July 2009... and during that relatively short time, have sunk some memorable hook-sets into a variety of fish species. Guess that's just getting started, because it doesn't even feel like the surface has been scratched as there are still so many more waters to try. Fishing is still always like it was in the WarCanoe, hoping to peer around that next unfamiliar bend in the river, holding faith in past experiences for a safe passage, and seeking out lifes next giants to slay. A blessed man in travel, with many more "whoas" then "woes" to keep on fishing into the days ahead. The tightest of lines.

Keep fishing real.

Thanks for reading,

Bunk

Edited by Moosebunk

Thanks for sharing your story. It's always an interesting read and the pictures are outstanding, as usual. Those trout look incredible. I've never seen them like that before.

PM me your address and I'll send you a well deserved six pack.

wow...........I don't fish all that much and usually have nothing to report so stuff like this makes my day. Those pics are fantastic, I wish I could be up there fishing with you guys, what an experience that would be. Good stuff!

This was a very comprensive report and I enjoyed it immensly. When I heard about the ORNG accident my first thought was they might have been former co-workers. Sorry for your loss.Like Irish said thanks for what you do on a day in day out basis and its great to see you still get to unwind even though theres no seals or polar bears around to make things interesting.

I hope we can hook up in late summer this year.

Me too. And chances are good we will.

Love the gar picture.

Plenty more of those to come.

My fave is the snake on the rock close up!

Hey Joey... have some more of that water snake I'll toss up on FB one of these days soon.

Those trout look incredible. I've never seen them like that before.

No idea what strain they are, but they are stocked. The vermiculations are often amazing like that, and the orbits in the eyes have a gelatinous green appearance. They are stunning lakers indeed.

but wheres the monster pike I look forward to seeing...lol

Jay... summer just got started a couple days ago dood. Plenty planned time on several trips with big toothies this years.

Ummmm is there any fish that you can't catch?

Splake have always given a hard time.