pfluegher presudent spinning reel.

super dave

I bought a pfluegher president reel as a few members here said they were great reels for the price. I had problems with the drag slipping on the first one, sent it back for another and now this one is doing the same. What I mean by slipping is when u pull the line, there is no clicking sound and no matter how tight u adjust the drag, its the same loose tension.

Anyone else have this problem and know a fix?

Dave, I've experienced PowerPro slipping off a stationary spool (bail closed, drag cranked to the max on my Stradic). Are you experiencing something like this?

If so, use a mono backing. 10-20 yards of mono backing tied with a uni-to-uni knot to the braid. I find slippage to occur more when it's cool/cold out without a mono backing.

Yup, like they said, braid is slipping. You can put the mono for backing, or like I do, just put a small strip of hockey tape around the spool befor putting the line on, it wont slip. Two dumb questions, did ya remove the label that is on many spools before putting the line on? Did you put any tension on the line while spooling it up?

If you turn the spool by hand and it clicks and the tension goes up and down when you turn the knob, it is line slipping.

RED

I just picked up the 6930 model, used it for the first time yesterday, I love it already. Have always bought Shimano spinning reels, but they are not the quality of the Pfleuger, more ball bearings, very smooth, braid ready spool lip and lighter compared to my other reels and most importantly, less expensive.

The pfleuger reels are a. Good. Bang for the buck, but if you do a lot of fishing, they don't hold up. They haven't for me anyways. I have 2 out of 4 that are out of commision.

I have shimanos and diawas that are many, many years old, and still perform flawlessly.

S.

really? fish a pflueger hard for 3 years and then compare...

Have always bought Shimano spinning reels, but they are not the quality of the Pfleuger, more ball bearings, very smooth, braid ready spool lip and lighter compared to my other reels and most importantly, less expensive.

as mentioned, it sounds like line slippage....or if it's not slippage you've broken the clicker, which is usually an easily replacable part but sometimes is press fit

Regarding barefoots comment

will a pflueger survive 3 years of hard use? Only reason I haven't bought a pflueger patriarch is because my only president lasted 3 months before it died. Had 3 shimano sedonas I used for 5 years, still alive. Now I have an ugly fleet of stradics that I predict will last longer than I will. I just don't think any of the competition makes reels as tough as shimano. Save up and collect a fleet of stradics and you will never regret it

Edited by sauce

I bought my first 2 flueggers after manny years of straight shimano.

My first one i brought with me to Cuba... It was seized by the time i returned... My fault.. I bought a nice sealed saltwater reel after that day.

the 2nd one is great.. running strong.. but its only been a year.. we shall see.

Sounds like slipping like the others have mentioned .. i always put some mono backing on my Braid setups