GPS Questions - Garmin Oregon 450

Nemo

Got a Garmin Oregon 450 for Father's Day. It seems like a pretty cool tool but the base maps are pretty inadequate so I will need to purchase some maps.

Just wondering if any of you had any experience with this GPS and any comments on best maps to buy and in what format.

The three maps I am interested in are:

TOPO Canada

Canada Inland Lakes

North America City Navigator

Cheers and look forward to your thoughts.

Nemo

If your going with a commercial map, go with backroads maps sd card. My buddy has it and it is excellent! If your interested in saving some cash, download IBYCUS for free. I recently added it to my Dakota 20, and for 0 dollars I think it's fantastic! Had a bit of help from a member here getting it set up, PM me if you need a bit of info, but almost everything is available online for directions. I am just a little computer dumb, so needed some assistance, but I've got it figured out now!

If your going with a commercial map, go with backroads maps sd card. My buddy has it and it is excellent! If your interested in saving some cash, download IBYCUS for free. I recently added it to my Dakota 20, and for 0 dollars I think it's fantastic! Had a bit of help from a member here getting it set up, PM me if you need a bit of info, but almost everything is available online for directions. I am just a little computer dumb, so needed some assistance, but I've got it figured out now!

That would be me. ;)

Ibycus is legally free, and I just took the data and pulled out only Ontario into one IMG file. If you want anything outside of Ontario, you can grab Ibycus and do it yourself (I probably can't help you much with that, as I only run Linux and the software is different than Windows and Mac software). I can't really compare it to anything but the crappy base map that came on my Dakota 20, which it is far, far better than.

If you want my Ibycus Ontario map file, shoot me a PM.

Hey guys in the same boat here, got a dakota for christmas but haven't loaded any maps yet. I went to the website and these maps look pretty good. If you don't mind dana I will shoot you a pm soon for ontario.

Porkpie and Dana thanks for the heads up on the maps. I was looking at the Backroads map it looks pretty good. Dana I will PM you when I get an SD card to load.

Thanks

Nemo

FYI you can load it straight to the Dakota 20 without a card. I did this, then loaded it to a micro SD card as a backup to leave in the truck.

FYI you can load it straight to the Dakota 20 without a card. I did this, then loaded it to a micro SD card as a backup to leave in the truck.

He has the Oregon 450, but yeah. I expect you can do it with that too.