Subaru ready to retire, looking at a new car. HELP!

Big Cliff

yea, don't try to justify it, , go for it, you need a reliable vehicle, that isn't hurting your wallet in repairs. going to a 2012 or even 2011, would drastically reduce your purchase cost, not to mention insurance premiums on depreciation value on a 2013. get what YOU WANT. test drive em all, see what feels right.

Edited by FloatnFly

I think maintaining/repairing your forester would be cheaper than a monthly payment on a new car. I have 280k on my forester, and she runs like a top. Last year I spent less than $2G to keep her on the road. Very reliable, and very, very versitile vehicle. I think you will miss the subaru when she's gone.

S.

I agree with the above statement. I commute 100KM each way when I'm on shift. I drive a 98 civic. While we have a late model pickup in the driveway, we also have a late model truck payment that goes with it. I will drive my little civic into the ground! It is great on gas, relatively cheap to fix, and the damn thing is extremely reliable. I don't have to put a whole pile of money into it each year either. My father in law drove his last subaru to 350K before the head gasket went on him, and he decided to replace instead of fix. Your forester at 220k is just nicely broken in!

Ever considered a slightly used car? Ex. You can buy a 2011 or so bmw 3 series for the same price as most new japanese cars. Euro cars traditionally come with really long and excellent warranties too.

And also the "american brand means american jobs" thing is somewhat a saying from the past... Look at the toyota plant in woodstock, for example. However, most euro cars such as bmw and m-benz are built in germany and shipped over on a boat.

Exactly. I wouldnt buy new even if I won the lottery. I don't know who buys new vehicles these days. Certainly not anyone that I know of. The last vehicle that I bought was a 2006 Ford Five Hundred. That was 4 years ago. It had the window sticker with it that lists the price and options when it was new on the lot. $34000.00 plus tax. I paid $9000.00 with no tax with 80,000 kms on it. Just slightly broken in. You guys keep buying them new and I'll buy them a few years later at 1/4 of the cost.

Exactly. I wouldnt buy new even if I won the lottery. I don't know who buys new vehicles these days. Certainly not anyone that I know. The last vehicle that I bought was a 2006 Ford Five Hundred. That was 4 years ago. It had the window sticker with it that lists the price and options when it was new on the lot. $34000.00 plus tax. I paid $9000.00 with no tax with 80,000 kms on it. Just slightly broken in. You guys keep buying new new and I'll buy them a few years later at 1/4 of the cost.

^ my dad bought his 335i about 6 months old, for appx 2/3 of the price that you would pay for a brand new one.

Buy one very slightly used, because as soon as you drive a new car off the lot, it's going to drop down to appx 3/4 value of what you paid for it.

Those Elantras are nice Cliff. Great value.

As others have said, I'm a big fan of Foresters as well. You might get a deal on a '12 now that they have released the new version. I think it's basically the same car with the new having nicer trim and a CVT transmission.

As for north American jobs - Honda and Toyota have been generating more of those than the big 3.

Cliff, a new car will cost you 3-4 thousand a year in depreciation plus whatever goes wrong along the way. If you spend 2 k a year on hour subaru, you are making money. The drivetrain has at least another hundred k in it. Drive it right down into the ground then replace it. I have spent enough money on cars in the past 25 years that I could have bought another small house. I plan on driving old cars in decent shape for the next 10-15 years. A car is a car is a car is a car.......... Ultimately though, whatever floats your boat. Btw, find out what the prob is with the blower and then hit the wreckers, you will find it.

Cliff, a new car will cost you 3-4 thousand a year in depreciation plus whatever goes wrong along the way. If you spend 2 k a year on hour subaru, you are making money. The drivetrain has at least another hundred k in it. Drive it right down into the ground then replace it. I have spent enough money on cars in the past 25 years that I could have bought another small house. I plan on driving old cars in decent shape for the next 10-15 years. A car is a car is a car is a car.......... Ultimately though, whatever floats your boat. Btw, find out what the prob is with the blower and then hit the wreckers, you will find it.

What I like most about my vehicles is that when you turn the key, they start. Then, when I pull that lever thing down to the D position, I can drive anywhere that I want to. And that's all that matters to me.

The first new vehicle I ever bought was my Silverado in 2011, probably an impulse buy on the way home from the Oncologists with not great news. I'm looking at them at Haldimand motors now with slightly more K's and based on what I paid after all the PDI, etc etc. I want to cry. I have always bought slightly used and not regretted it. Do the math, next time around if there is a next time it will be slightly used again.

The most impressive vehicle I have ever owned is the 07 Nissan Altima my wife is driving. And I have owned them all, from Jags, Benz's, Caddies, BMW to Pontiacs. Bought it in June 08 with 29000K's, so about 16 months new. What a tank, and it flies with the 300 hp 3.5 L. Basic maintenance and that's it. Never had a mechanical problem, ever. Now has 240000 K and it looks new. We live on the north shore of Erie and she commutes down these poorly plowed country roads, with real winter snow tires it's the energizer bunny. If considering a Altima you must get the 3.5L engine. 8.5 L/100 K averaging 60K per hour. Please take one for a drive.

With all the extended warranties today a year old car will have 4 to 6 years left on the factory warranty. Just make sure it was never a fleet lease or rental.

A Kia Soul? My 83 year old next door neighbours bought one last fall, she thinks it's so cute. Like a steelworker driving a Miata, Soul, Na Cliff don't do it, you will lose the Big in Big Cliff.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Mine is an '04, and its also a turbo.

I haven't had many issues. Did some front end work at about 200k ($1200), and just replaced a wheel bearing($200). Other than that just brakes, tires, and oil changes.

It will probably blow up on me now tho......lol

S.

I think that is where the big difference lies Sinker, 6 years ago, heck even a year ago this thing was a rock but just in the past year every time I go anywhere something else seems to go wrong. I got it used so I have no idea how it was taken care of prior to my getting it.

There has been some really great feedback here and it will go a long way toward helping me make a decision. I am going to take Sue out Tuesday and let her test drive a couple of cars to see what she thinks then I'll do whatever she tells me.

Cliff, i don't have either car but I do have a Kia, (who is owned by Hyundai) and I would buy another one in a heart beat. I have 490,000 km,, plus on my car. I am starting to have to have a few things done now, but I am hard on my car and this is the first one to ever last me this long...up to now though, just basics, brakes, etc...well I did have to get the front control arm/ball joints done, but then, I am hard on my car and it had over 400,000 km at the time ;)

From what I know you can't go wrong with either car, it comes down to your own preference for look, style and comfort..

Look forward to hearing what you choose, and seeing the new one...

Maureen

also, keep in mind about size, i don't how big a guy you are, but myself, im 6'4, and i don't fit in quite a few cars, since car makers have this vision of short people sitting in and driving their vehicles, even in my pontiacs, had a grand am and grand prix, i had to have the seats back so far i could look out the rear passenger window

I will likely stick with Subaru for life. Been driving one for about 4 years now.

Started with an 08 Impreza 2.5i. Currently driving an 07 WRX sedan. Absolutely love the thing. Especially when it snows :D

My next car will be an 06-08 forester XT for the extra cargo space. It's so hard finding a 5 speed manual these days.

To me, it's the perfect fishing vehicle with a nice balance of power and space.

I would recommend to seriously consider looking for a used forester.

Subaru has the best four wheel drive on the market and they run forever with routine maintenance. My suggestion is shop around Cliff, you may find a better deal on a Forester at another dealer. When my wife bought her Outback we shopped around quite a bit and saved more than you might think.

I will likely stick with Subaru for life. Been driving one for about 4 years now.

Started with an 08 Impreza 2.5i. Currently driving an 07 WRX sedan. Absolutely love the thing. Especially when it snows :D

My next car will be an 06-08 forester XT for the extra cargo space. It's so hard finding a 5 speed manual these days.

To me, it's the perfect fishing vehicle with a nice balance of power and space.

I would recommend to seriously consider looking for a used forester.

Just curious? You started with an 08 but now have an 07? If I may ask, why the change?

2009 Forester and on are the re-desigined modles and have the better gas milage (and a bunch of other things). I have been looking for a good 2009 or newer, they are really hard to find and when you do, you are still looking at $18 - 19 thou for anything good + taxes. When I can get a 2013 Elantra for the same money (and I realize we are not compairing apples to apples here) I really am having a hard time trying to decide which way to go. I wouldn't mind a manual but Sue really would prefer an automatic. It is a really big investment for us especially now that I am semi retired.

Just curious? You started with an 08 but now have an 07? If I may ask, why the change?

I wanted the power from the turbo version. Wasn't too keen on getting a newer wrx (08+) due to price and how they looked.

I much prefered the GD chassis (02-07) and body style. Plus saved some money going back a year.

Here's my car as she sits now:

47798E1D-6BDD-4B1F-AD67-314435E96901-169

I find I'm getting older and not too into the fast car craze anymore. So I have been in and out of looking for a used forester.

I was ready to let my WRX go (actually to a member on this forum), but decided I would keep it for a little while longer.

My very first car was a mitsubishi, then I got a civic...and finally went AWD with subaru and haven't looked back.

I came really close to getting an 06 Forester XT - auto. It had just over 100k km on it. Really clean car and was well maintained. Wanted to think it through and it got sold before I could decide. I kind of regret not jumping on that one. On one hand, I really wanted a 5spd because it's what I'm used to and it's a lot more fun to drive. But my better half would much prefer an auto so she could drive it as well.

Wow, that is a nice looking car!!!!! I'm afraid I won't be getting anything like that, I'm well past the "mid-life crises" thing besides I'd probably never be able to get out of it LOL.. I just went into town to get a few things, wouldn't you know it, blew a brake line, Subaru is back in the shop again. I just figured it out and in the past month it has been costing me about $1.00/km to drive. Anyone want a good deal on an almost rebuilt Subaru LOL. (just kidding I wouldn't sell it, it is time for it to go bye bye. Makes me think of that Johnny Cash song One piece at a time!

Edited by Big Cliff

Sweet ride Frozen-fire. I almost had the same one, but the forester suits my needs much better. I just couldn't see the WRX towing my 16ft boat very far lol.

The XT doesn't even know its on there, but she burns a lot more fuel towing!

S.

Maybe I will look at a forester next,my 99 explorer Sport may not be the best on gas,but 432,000km on the dial and runs from 220-300km's a day.No sign of it dying any time soon,but loving this thread.Good luck Cliff,wondering if a forester would pull a 3000lb boat?I'm not sure?,but the gas saving on a daily commute may be worth looking into!!

Edited by davey buoy