25 merc sea pro

mcdougy

Anyone run one of these or care to comment on them. I am considering buying a brand new one. Not 100% I have read that they don't idle the best? Would love to stay with a two stroke yamaha but I can't locate a used one, and some that I have seen are darn near the price of these brand new sea pros.

I know a guy selling a 30hp yamaha 2 stroke. Great engine. Its painted camo. I forget the price, but I can find out if your interested.

We have a 25 sea pro on our work boat. Its a longshaft, 2 stroke, but it works great.

S.

Sure never hurts to ask I guess Sinker, what size work boat?. More to the debate.....mentioned to the wifey I was considering a purchase and lo and behold for Father's Day I got a cheque from the kids for a grand. I may now consider going to a new 25smh yamaha 2 stroke as that 1000 is the difference in cost of the yamaha to the merc.

Edited by mcdougy

I have had this exact motor since new in 2009

It runs great. But you are correct. They do not like low rpms and they do not make the best motor for trolling.

I have close to 200hrs on my motor and have had zero major repairs. Runs like it was new with a little maintenance each year.

I have had this exact motor since new in 2009

It runs great. But you are correct. They do not like low rpms and they do not make the best motor for trolling.

I have close to 200hrs on my motor and have had zero major repairs. Runs like it was new with a little maintenance each year.

Luke, Does it take much to get yours started? Is the pull very hard? What type of boat/weight do you have it mounted on? Speed with a couple or three guys? Thanks, Im very close to pulling the trigger one of these motors.

Matt

We had 30hp Sea Pro's on the boats @ the lodge on Great Bear in the 90's.

The only issue we ran into was that during rough water they would occasionally end up with stuck carburetor floats causing the engines to flood out and stall. Was a PIA when it happened as we had to remove the cowl, rap on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle and swap out the plugs to get it going again.

This only happened in extremely rough conditions.

If you generally don't venture out in 8 to 12 foot waves you shouldn't have this issue. :D

I never had any starting issues over the years we ran them and they trolled pretty well if a little rough but they were older 2 strokes. ;)

We were running them on heavy 17' Lund Alaskans and with 2 guests, guide and gear we were getting 19-22 MPH for speed.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Running it on a 14' Starcraft. Boat weighs ~200 pounds. Then add me and a buddy with some fishing gear. Trolling motor 2 batteries and your looking at almost 900 pounds. I can get it up to 23-24 mph.

Starts 3rd pull Everytime at the launch. And first pull Everytime after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it and tried it today.25 merc sea pro. Put half a tank through it in the driveway, then took it to the conservation area near me.

I AM GLAD i bought a 25 horsepower.

The old 15hp was 18-19 wot. This was 22-23 at 3/4 throttle with a big guy (240) in the front. Cracked to wot a few times and was getting 26-27mph.

Very Happy so far.

Not to loud, lots of torque and seems to idle decent. lowest speed on idle was 1.8mph.

The price was right and the i love that it only weighs 118lb.

Apparently for $10 the carb is turned to a 30hp which may be a bonus also one day.

Cheers Matt

Edited by mcdougy

A 14'2" starcraft tinny with a factory floor. the dry weight of the boat is 400lbs. It was amazing how the tilt/trim of motor influenced speed and plane ability of this motor. Moving it out was like night and day for performance and handling.

There's lots of info on how to change it to a 30hp,either Merc or Tohatsu forums.

From what I've read,a gasket swap($10) and possibly a timing advance to 25 degrees but some 25hp's are already set to that.

People in the states,running small flats boats love these engines due to there low weight and hp ratio...they have a hard time getting them though.