What to use for water line stains on boat / motor?

scugpg

I have some signifigant water line stains on the boat and motor and was wondering what to use that isn't too harsh on the paint or trailer. hot water and dish soap isn't making a dent in the stains so need something stronger. Also tried engine degreaser on the motor and no luck.

Thanks

I have always used CLR on a sponge to wipe the mineral stains off my OB.

Wear gloves, pour a little CLR on the sponge, wipe and then rinse with the hose.

Do smallish sections at a time. I usually do the lower unit, then the middle section.

I don't let it get on the motor cover.

The deposits are mineral based so you need a weak acid to get rid of them. Look in the bathcleaner section for lime removal products. Remember to wipe and rinse frequently and test before you go wild. I use CLR to restore my 150 evinrude and then an epoxy based motor paint to get rid of the cavitation burns.

Art

Toilet bowl cleaner was recommended to me from a marina. They had a ton of peoducts on the shelf, and when i adked which one they use for their detail jobs, i was told "none, dont waste your money!" All they use is toilet bowl cleaner and a brush, let sit for 5-10 mins. And rinse off well. Ofcourse dont use in or near water, and MAKE SURE ITS RINSED OFF!!! Before launching boat. Worked amazing for me and got rid of stains i could never get off with previous expensive cleaners. Boat looked new again after 14 years!

Edited by Angler management

Go to Canadian Tire and pick up some hull cleaner. It is a weak acid solution that breaks down quickly. Get a spray bottle, mix. 1/3 cleaner with 2/3 tap water and spray all over under the water line. Let it sit for 5 minutes then give a it a light scrubbing with a car wash brush and spray off. I bought a one gallon jug 4 years ago and still have enough for 2 more seasons.

Thanks Vance. It is called Starbrite. It works great and a bottle is under 20 bucks and it will work wonders on the scum line. The big jug I bought was from a marina's end of season sale. Canadian Tire sells the smaller bottle but it is enough to do your boat twice if you water it down. Full strength is not needed.

thanks for all the suggestions. after trying concentrated vinegar with no luck, tracked down some lysol toilet bowl cleaner with lime and rust remover from home hardware. It worked amazing. I just let it sit for a couple minutes and with gentle scrubbing and a rinse and the stains are all gone!