"Weird" Catches

Laying in bed playing on my phone right now and thought this would be a funny question to ask on here:

What are some of your 'weird' incidental catches while fishing that you basically reel them in and think how in the hell..? They can be anything, weird fish, other animals, or garbage/stuff that was thrown into the water. Here are my top 5:

1. I caught a cheap fishing rod combo one time fishing in hamilton harbor.

2. Snapping turtle. (Multiple times)

3. Canada goose that went suicidal and actually ate my lure

4. 3 ft long watersnake

5. 10 inch long smallmouth bass that ate an 8 inch long sucker minnow rigged for pike.

I have also caught quite a few seagulls as those things are completely stupid and will actually divebomb into the lake to grab lures like rapalas and livetarget.

My best catch was on one of my homemade worm harnesses I caught a small 16inch walleye on the first hook and about a 3 lb pike on the second hook !!!!! The pike was trying to snatch the walleye off the hook and he got hooked himself. As well !!!! I have caught a few boat anchors as well as an old net and my gf caught a rock with a hole in it !!!!!! Yes it's true !!!!! And we both have trolled our lures along the bottom and caught many big fresh water clams ..... She also caught a Canadian flag at the bottom of the Ottawa river and while casting her new lure from the dock I'm about 3feet of water snagged a baby sturgeon by the end of the tail about a 5lb it was not harmed !!!!!! And that's just the ones I can think about. !!!!!!! There is more......

I have caught flies while fishing (not fly fishing though). They landed on my spool and got wrapped up in line when I reeled in... happened twice.

I caught a half digested dead perch once. I figure it must have been in the throat of another fish that hit and got away leaving the perch behind. I did feel a definite hit so I didn't just snag it off the bottom.

I have also caught snails, rocks, fishing lures, anchors, etc.

I had double header with a large mouth and a small mouth on a Rat'l Spot.

I almost had a salmon on two rods earlier this year. I hooked in on an inline planer board. I reeled in right up to the boat before it broke my line, the line tangle on my dipsy rod and I was able reel right back to the boat before it finally got free.

1) seagull did a dive bomb attack on a rebel crayfish. Had to do an air fight to bring him in.... imagine that. You usually fight a fish under water. This one flies away. Happy ending though, finally brought him in and unhooked it's beak.

2) Hooked a water snake... hard to unhook that one as well.

3) got an old boot in frenchman's bay.

4) hooked a bag of dog poop in frenchman's bay (they really like to throw things in there eh)

Caught a condom in oshawa creek one time. It must have been caught up in one of the shopping carts. I cut the line quick on that one!

S.

I know a guy who caught a condom off the mouth of the Humber River one day, while casting Cleos for salmon. He cut the line too, and I think I would do the same. Yech.

Many years ago I saw a guy at the Old Mill Dam hook a dog. The dog wasn't hurt, fortunately, as the hook just got wrapped in its tail fur while the guy was trying to cast. But it was funny watching this guy in floppy rubber waders chasing a golden retriever down the river bank yelling "dog on!"

Strange catches for myself ....

1. Turtle, on a jerkbait while muskie fishing.

2. Dead, badly decomposed salmon that I somehow lined with a float and roe bag while fishing off the pier at Port Hope.

3. Gull, which hit a topwater while I was picking out a backlash.

4. Landing net (nice one, I still have it)

I once caught an antique leather child's shoe. It was creepy... had an old metal buckle and everything.

Also seen loons get caught on 2 separate occasions.

One was successfully unhooked, the other broke the line.

FYI, when they are underwater, they look like they are flying.

Jigged up a BIG dead carp off the bottom...

Several snapping turtles...

Caught a gar by a piece of line that was broke of by another angler... Did the same with a salmon in port hope...

Had a beaver on one time... He bulldozed my float/hook/worm set up...

Seagull...

Had a duck dive down and eat my corn while carp fishing... It was able to shake the hook...

2 smallmouth... 1 rapala...

A carp while trolling a crank... Another while drifting a harness... Weird

Fence wire from the flooded area of the seaway...

Smallmouth on a 10" sucker...

Carp on a spinnerbait...

Salamander through the ice...

Frog on a frog....

Pike on a piece of corn...

50" ski ate my perch... Landed...

Ummmmm.... That's probably most of my weird ones....

Have caught lots of plastic bags.

A few rocks when jigging which seemed to fight back....one was rusted, lava like, thought it was a meteorite piece.

A Gull hit my topwater once, caught fishing rods, lures (including decent muskie one) etc....

Even have caught old, wet sock (wasn't walleye) and other items of clothing,,,,fun stuff.

I caught a laker on Simcoe one year ice fishing. Someone had left a night line set up, with just a spool of line sitting on the ice. I never saw it.

The laker was hooked up on the night light, who knows for how long. Just circling around under the ice, with about 100 ft of line.. Sad really. Until it pulled enough line, and got tangled up with my line.

I pulled in my lure, and there was another line attached to it, so I hand bombed that line, and there was a nice laker on the other end!

I've caught two rod and reel combos, a brook trout while fishing for carp with corn, a 34" inch musky while fishing a 1" tube jig for perch, a bull frog that ate my scum frog while trying to catch largies in Lilly pads, big channel catfish and flat head catfish on rapalas are some if the few I can remember.

I've caught a couple of rod and reel combos, cleaned them up and gave them to kids. 2 largemouth on a topwater. Couple of landing nets. Seagull who cooperated quite nicely and once released, turned and bit me. It was the one they grabbed the damn bait! lol. Most interesting catch was a bikini top. :blush:

Bikini top while jigging walleye(no girl attached) Musky on a walleye harness first time out this year, A loon on a berkley powerbait 3 years ago, Caught an under water hi-voltage cable on my anchor rope last year.I cut the rope and let it sink back. Pike on a perch on a worm and spinner. Thats about it

I caught a condom in wilmot creek, seems to be a common thing in those east GTA ditches lol

"caught" a catfish by the loop of mono he had trailing out his butt hole, he didn't seem to be too healthy, poor bugger

guys next door to our ice hut lost a rod down the hole, we caught it 3 days later, a pike, with the other rod still attached

I lost my grandfathers spinning rod while carp fishing when I was in grade 5, carp pulled it in....grade 8 I caught it back from the river

Cool post!

1. Seagull off Bronte Pier (got it in and untangled - flew away unharmed for all you bird lovers)

2. Turtles and Bullfrogs (all eaten - kidding)

3. Mud Puppy from bottom of Port Dahlousie (got a pic in the album for that one)

4. Had a loon chase my bucktail twice on upper buckhorn. (I moved spots to avoid that confrontation!)

5. Used a small perch and within a minute caught a 4 lb largie (was my PB)

6. Caught a crayfish off worm once. (Used that for bait too)

7. Had a muskie hit a scum frog 3 times in 10 minutes (very stealth like too beside some tall reeds) - neither time got the hook in - no surprise

8. First muskie I ever caught 32" was on a 1" yellow beetle spin (Canadian Tire special) - never saw the lure again once the fish was in the net (released of course)

9. Snagged a stingray on the tail off pier in Clearwater Florida. That was a long fight on medium action tackle. Saw dolphins swim by the same night too. Imagine those acrobatics.

10. Bowfin dogfish whatever off spinnerbait middle of lake.

Funniest thing happened when I used to work at a bait store in Hamilton and frogs were sellable back then. I left the screen in the tank and they got out hopping all over the floor around customers. Took awhile to catch them but the customers had a great time. No frogs were hurt or stepped on which was lucky too!

Edited by fishsevern

A pelican took my shrimp on Charlotte Harbor pier. Took the entire spool. I should have cut it right away.

Limited out on clams in Nippissing with a worm harness, the first few I thought what's the odds snagging a clam perfectly? then after 6 more I realized they are actually hitting the hook.

A small shark took a Redfish that I had caught in Pt. Charlotte as well and held on for 5 minutes, left the head.