Cracking The Code On The Attawapiskat ~ Fishing Hearst Air's Brand New Outpost Camp

solopaddler

Well done Mike

Looks like you guys got quality and quantity

I noticed in some of the pictures you are using flouro leaders.

Did you try the tieable titanium leaders ? Any review or comments about leader material ?

Thanks

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed!

Well done Mike

Looks like you guys got quality and quantity

I noticed in some of the pictures you are using flouro leaders.

Did you try the tieable titanium leaders ? Any review or comments about leader material ?

Thanks

Yes I have come to a definitive conclusion about the leaders, especially after this trip. The 20lb tieable titanium leader wire made by Terminator is THE BEST! It's so incredibly thin and ties very easily. It's a fantastic product for thowing lighter stickbaits as it doesn't impede the action at all. We caught oodles of large pike using the 20lb with zero issues. Anything heavier than 20lb I have no use for, it's too hard to tie at least for me.

I also used the Tuff Line leader material as well as a tieable nylon coated metal made by Surflon. I liked neither of these especially the Tuff Line it was way too thick and visible and frayed easily. The Surflon is nice and thin and less visible but doesn't stand up to any abuse either.

I always have some pre tied fluoro leaders with me on these trips and did use them on occasion when throwing non finesse baits like bucktails and spoons. They're bulletproof too.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed!

Yes I have come to a definitive conclusion about the leaders, especially after this trip. The 20lb tieable titanium leader wire made by Terminator is THE BEST! It's so incredibly thin and ties very easily. It's a fantastic product for thowing lighter stickbaits as it doesn't impede the action at all. We caught oodles of large pike using the 20lb with zero issues. Anything heavier than 20lb I have no use for, it's too hard to tie at least for me.

I also used the Tuff Line leader material as well as a tieable nylon coated metal made by Surflon. I liked neither of these especially the Tuff Line it was way too thick and visible and frayed easily. The Surflon is nice and thin and less visible but doesn't stand up to any abuse either.

I always have some pre tied fluoro leaders with me on these trips and did use them on occasion when throwing non finesse baits like bucktails and spoons. They're bulletproof too.

Thanks for the response Mike.

This year I made the switch to 100# Seagaur premier flouro leader.

I was suprised how well it performed with smaller stick baits. It did not seem to impede the action of the bait and back to back uni knots worked well but......

We had 2 bite offs. 1 bite off I think the fish hit the mainline when attacking the bait. The other break off the fish engufed the bait head first but sliced through the 100# quite easily.

Where did you puchase the tieableTerminator leader? I cant seem to find it anywhere on line or in stores

Thanks so much again for allowing most of us to vicariously enjoy such a trip north. Don't ever wonder whether your efforts to put these reports together are not truly appreciated by everyone. I was wondering whether you always try to arrange for Otters on your fly-ins? Do you guys ever eat northerns or do you always eat walleye on these trips?

Fires me up everytime........Truly appreciate the time taken to not only upload all the photos and vids, but the time and effort that goes into documenting the trip while your there is a bunch of work as well. Pulling out the camera in some of the conditions i see you fishing in can truly be a pain in the arse, and when theres fish like this waiting for your next cast......it can be easy to want to give the camera a rest.

So again, .....MUCH appreciated

P.S. Friends shouldnt let friends pike fish with bare feet, ........And yes i speak from experience........YEOOOOW! Husky Jerk right between the toes

Thank's gent's, your comments are much appreciated!

Thanks so much again for allowing most of us to vicariously enjoy such a trip north. Don't ever wonder whether your efforts to put these reports together are not truly appreciated by everyone. I was wondering whether you always try to arrange for Otters on your fly-ins? Do you guys ever eat northerns or do you always eat walleye on these trips?

Glad you enjoyed! The type of plane really depends on the distance involved, outfitter, and circumstances. We flew in on an otter on this trip because a bunch of gas and supplies went in with us. We actually flew out in a turbo Beaver.

I fly on Tuesday to Little Missinaibi lake north of Chapleau. It's a standard Beaver and our weight limit is a strict 100lb's per person. That's damn hard to adhere to when your tackle weighs 30lb's and case of beer weighs 25lb's LOL!

my "Bucket List" would be a trip to the Attawapiskat with the "GREAT" Mike Borger

I'm actually a huge pain in the arse. You'd hate me if you met me.

Fires me up everytime........Truly appreciate the time taken to not only upload all the photos and vids, but the time and effort that goes into documenting the trip while your there is a bunch of work as well. Pulling out the camera in some of the conditions i see you fishing in can truly be a pain in the arse, and when theres fish like this waiting for your next cast......it can be easy to want to give the camera a rest.

So again, .....MUCH appreciated

P.S. Friends shouldnt let friends pike fish with bare feet, ........And yes i speak from experience........YEOOOOW! Husky Jerk right between the toes

VERY kind words and greatly appreciated. I'd love to see photo evidence of the Husky Jerk incident.

Wow great report Mike and love the pics and videos i guess will have to add this one to my bucket list also,do you know if this camp will be ready for the 2014 season.

Cheers Mitch....

Thanks Mitch. For you anyone else who's wondering I'm sure Hearst Air will take bookings for this year.