Baby pike or....muskie?

hotsky

Maybe grass pickerel?

Oops, didn't read all the posts first. We used to catch lots of them east of Toronto many years ago and called them grass pike. There are a couple of pickerel species residing in southern Ontario and most folks don't even realise it.

Edited by Bob

Maybe grass pickerel?

Oops, didn't read all the posts first. We used to catch lots of them east of Toronto many years ago and called them grass pike. There are a couple of pickerel species residing in southern Ontario and most folks don't even realise it.

Which 'pickerel' species are they?

You're right, Dan. They're all up the north east US and in Quebec...might be some in Ontario but it's out of their range. They don't even come as far west as I am...I have to travel 100 miles or so east and south east to get them. It'd be interesting to know if anyone is finding some in Ontario.

You're right, Dan. They're all up the north east US and in Quebec...might be some in Ontario but it's out of their range. They don't even come as far west as I am...I have to travel 100 miles or so east and south east to get them. It'd be interesting to know if anyone is finding some in Ontario.

So it's official. There's no Pickeral in Ontario. I knew this 100 years ago. Ok. Maybe 40 years ago.

There is chain pickerel in Lake Erie.

AND there was recently an article about how Lake Erie's grass pickerel numbers are dropping on the north shore.

North shore.. thats us.

Edited by Rich

Never heard of chain pickerel being caught in Ontario, just grass and redfin.

Neither have I, Bob.

As for grass ( sub species of redfin) and redfin, there are supposed to be a few, very few on the southern shores of lakes Michigan, Erie and Ontario however, due to their small size ( one pound maximum) I suspect that most fisherfolks would mistake them for juvenile pike.

I remember back about 6-7 yrs. ago a member (PatrickGG) posted a report where he caught a chain pickerel in lagoon at Leslie Spit (Lake O). It weighed about 8 lbs. It was the weirdest catch since they are not supposed to be here and it was fairly large.. No doubt it was chain pickerel , maybe crossed with pike. Wish i could find the picture or post here.