Baby pike or....muskie?

hotsky

The color of the water could be the reason the fish is so light...I bet if you put it in clearer water it would turn much darker... Looks like a Grand River or Binbrook fish...

this is true, you need a permit to transport it - AND it counts towards you possession limit (no joke- I looked into a couple bass for my back pond but decided against it after I found the last bit out )

Funny story.

Long, long ago I once worked for Canadian Sportfishing. Hank and Italo were doing a bass fishing seminar at the CNE and needed live bass for the huge swimming pool set up in the coliseum. I was given a company truck and several huge coolers and was told to catch as many bass as I could (at one of my personal favourite bass ponds I might add) and rush them to Toronto. Being young and dumb I agreed.

Anyhow I caught probably 30 small bass and took off like a bat out of hell for the CNE. Italo had given me his radar detector and I was told to use it LOL!

I wheeled into the parking lot like an indy driver and backed the truck through the doors of the building, dumping the still lively bass into the pool.

Mission accomplished.

Next morning we all drove over early to set up and guess what? Every single one of those bass had jumped out of the pool and lay dead or dying in the aisles.

Those guys pushed the limits of right and wrong a lot back then. I was very fortunate I wasn't caught and charged with something myself. Still can't believe I did that, but when your boss tells you to do something and you're young and trying to get ahead, well......

I can laugh about it now.

Funny story.

Long, long ago I once worked for Canadian Sportfishing. Hank and Italo were doing a bass fishing seminar at the CNE and needed live bass for the huge swimming pool set up in the coliseum. I was given a company truck and several huge coolers and was told to catch as many bass as I could (at one of my personal favourite bass ponds I might add) and rush them to Toronto. Being young and dumb I agreed.

Anyhow I caught probably 30 small bass and took off like a bat out of hell for the CNE. Italo had given me his radar detector and I was told to use it LOL!

I wheeled into the parking lot like an indy driver and backed the truck through the doors of the building, dumping the still lively bass into the pool.

Mission accomplished.

Next morning we all drove over early to set up and guess what? Every single one of those bass had jumped out of the pool and lay dead or dying in the aisles.

Those guys pushed the limits of right and wrong a lot back then. I was very fortunate I wasn't caught and charged with something myself. Still can't believe I did that, but when your boss tells you to do something and you're young and trying to get ahead, well......

I can laugh about it now.

pffttt..I find it hard to believe those guys would partake in such unethical practices :whistling:

pffttt..I find it hard to believe those guys would partake in such unethical practices :whistling:

I know it's shocking isn't it.

I believe there's good in everyone, I truly do, and there's a lot of good in both of those guys. Besides which it's never a good idea to throw stones when you live in a glass house.

No one's perfect myself included.

People learn, grow, evolve, and yes, change. (one can hope)

seem a lot here are sure ..but I be counting the hole bottom jaw to be sure

have seen lots of colour variations of musky and this looks possibly barred or banded musky

The bars on a muskie are darker than the back ground colour. Pike on the other had have light markings on a dark back ground. The fish in the picture has light markings on a dark back ground which would rule out muskie and tiger muskie.

Juvenile pike often have bars instead of spots. I am still going with pike.

What if your fish grow beyond the slot and they're in you pond (possession) ???

Lol

you know, I never even thought to ask Once I heard it was tact to my limit I canned the whole idea and now just have tackle shop minnows in there- with nothing to eat them :dunno:

Funny story.

Long, long ago I once worked for Canadian Sportfishing. Hank and Italo were doing a bass fishing seminar at the CNE and needed live bass for the huge swimming pool set up in the coliseum. I was given a company truck and several huge coolers and was told to catch as many bass as I could.......

That is a great story!

They were generous back then. I remember entering the Canadian Sportfishing contest in mid 90's and winning tons of stuff which i still mostly have. Even won Canadian Pike angler of year from going to Toronto harbourfront with boat. lol. Caught dozens of 34-40" pike with CN tower in view. Remember Marc Travers.?

Oh yeah that is a 100% juvenille pike in initial picture here. lol

Edited by ehg

Got another little bigger pike there. cant really see the patters too well but it's also very light. btw I got it on a shrimp while fishing for bullheads.

hzit.jpg

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Got another little bigger pike there. cant really see the patters too well but it's also very light. btw I got it on a shrimp while fishing for bullheads.

hzit.jpg

May I ask was your bait on bottom or below a float?