Pretty flies for a white guy

adolson

I don't really know anything about flies or fly fishing, but I have these... They look better (to me) than the Danielson brand flies I see at Canadian Tire, and that's the only selection I saw in town last I checked (though I missed the actual tackle shop, as they were closed).

Anyhow, let's say I were to acquire a fly rod and some knowledge on casting and fishing, would these be any good to use for trout (any more effective than other flies such as the Danielsons or whatever)?

Or should I just keep them as memorabilia (they were my grandfather's) and pass them down to my son? It looks like a full set in this little metal tin. The only wording on the outside says "Fly Box."

flies-a-small.jpg

flies-b-small.jpg

Larger versions can be found here, if needed:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17898384/flies-a-large.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17898384/flies-b-large.png

I'd keep those as memorabilia

no doubt you could catch a trout or two on some of those flies, but they are far from what I'd call a well tied fly, and nothing wrong with that, they have great sentimental value especially if your grandfather tied them....IMO they would be a great gift to pass down to your kid and should be preserved that way

any more pics of that fly box? is it stamped anywhere? pic of the fly box logo?

Nice collection,my grandfather left me a tin of fly's,probably 60 plus years old.He passed 30 years ago,and we were close .Never saw him use these at least the last 25 years he was around. Similar to what you have but will never use them. They sure look nice,tempting though I must say.Too eaches own.Really don't know if there is much value anyway. Just a keepsake.

Nice collection,my grandfather left me a tin of fly's,probably 60 plus years old.He passed 30 years ago,and we were close .Never saw him use these at least the last 25 years he was around. Similar to what you have but will never use them. They sure look nice,tempting though I must say.Too eaches own.Really don't know if there is much value anyway. Just a keepsake.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to sell them. My uncle says these are from the 50s. Use or keep. :)

Don't fish them, you can see that the knots are coming apart. I'd definitely keep them, the hooks themselves are actually quite interesting, I'm sure more valuable than the flies. If you want to fish them I'd agree with Brad, fish those streamers, the wet flies won't be of too much use in lakes.