2013 ram 1500 update

jedimaster

I just wanted to post an update on my new truck. I now have about 3500kms on it. I have towed Mt boat and a few bigger trailers and not once felt underpowered. This was my big concern going with the v6. The 8 speed really makes a huge difference. As for the fuel economy. I hit the reset and the cruise varying 10km over the limit from Toronto to bancroft today and I averaged 8.9 liters per hundred kms. Or about 26.5 mpg. This is with fishing gear one passenger half a tank of gas and soft tonneau cover. Anyway I am super happy so far with the purchase and would recommend people in the market to check it out. I am happy I am getting better than the posted mpg on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Standard_Pickup_Trucks2013.shtml

In all honesty, I love the looks of these trucks but hate the product... I don't know why either because I am considering a jeep for my next tow vehicle (4 door to get an alright towing capacity). Your posts definitely have me thinking though. No boat I will ever own will be heavier than the max towing capacity of that thing and if you are getting fuel numbers like that, they must have done something right!!! I am getting roughly 18mpg out of my old f150 so the gas savings alone would be enough for the payment of that thing!!!!

Out if curiosity, is your ram the HFE model? That is supposed to be their most fuel efficient.

Lape the new 4 door wranglers [and the 6 cyl grand cherokee], use the same pentastar v6 that's in the ram 1500 v6. the difference is they dont have the 8 speed of the ram in them.... yet.

jedi, sounds like a good truck you got yourself. i too will likely look at one a few years down the line when guys like you eat the depreciation. ;)

Lape the new 4 door wranglers [and the 6 cyl grand cherokee], use the same pentastar v6 that's in the ram 1500 v6. the difference is they dont have the 8 speed of the ram in them.... yet.

jedi, sounds like a good truck you got yourself. i too will likely look at one a few years down the line when guys like you eat the depreciation. ;)

That's actually really good to know. That 8 speed must be doing wonders and must be geared pretty well because no one seems to be too happy with the 3.8 in the jeep. Everyone is crying for the 4.0 litre to return... And because if the gearing/tranny, fuel mileage is horrible.

the pentastar is a 3.6 and is in the wranglers from 2012 onwards. the 2007-2011 models had the 3.8.

the 2012+ wranglers with the 3.6 get better mpg than the 3.8

Edited by Raf

Well from what I am reading, it sounds like you have the HFE. It stands for something like High fuel efficiency.

If you have the 3.6 with 8 speed and it came with a tri food to each as well as active grille shutters, you have the HFE model. It also talks about a stop start system whatever that is.

I had a bad experience with a Ram bought new in 03. After that I said never again. A good friend has a 3/4 ton 03 and has had many of the same problems I had as well as the poor after sale experiences.r So when I was shopping for a new truck in 2011 I didn't even stop at a Chrysler dealership. Now that I have 30000K on my Silverado and am getting about 15L/100K I would seriously consider the post bail out Chrysler. Don't get me wrong, I love my Chevy (she may be listening) the gas consumption stinks. The same truck Ford offered as competition to the Chevy was about 12 grand more, the only difference was a pile of fake wood plastic on the dash and far less feeling of power with the comparable horsepower.

The new Rams have come a long way, I don't know about the service from the dealerships, I would consider one if there ever is another truck in the future.

I don't have the one that shuts off the engine when you stop. So just the normal 3.6 with 8 speed. The dial knob shifter and steering wheel gear selector is taking some getting used to

Edited by jedimaster

I will post a bit of a better review here on the rest of the truck. A word of warning though, the fuel economy I am currently getting wouldn't be possible if I was driving it hard. if you drive it hard, (passing, quick acceleration etc...) then the mileage is not nearly as good. I have specifically been trying to conserve fuel by keep to the limits and not driving with a heavy foot.

As for the rest of the items.

Radio - I have the Uconnect 5(no Bluetooth) Sounds good actually, the bass is pretty deep and plently loud enough. The door panels though reverberate a lot when a song with driving bass comes on. I have the Sirius free for a year with it, but I don't really use it. I have an Ipod connected to the USB slot and I just leave t in there. It has all the songs I like and you can browse playlists, albums and artists. My cousin has the upgraded touch screen radio and its nice and has Bluetooth and is worth the upgrade just for the Bluetooth. The navigation is extra on top of that so make sure you negotiate that in if you want it.

The box - I has done with the spray in bedliner and so far it looks and feels very durable and grippy. I am amazed actually at the quality of the bedliner. I am able to fit my 7 foot rods in at an angle no problem. I will actually measure it tonight and update with the actual max length. I also bought an aftermarket trifolf soft cover and like that very much as well. I think I paid about 280 cash including delivery in the gta.

The door panels are plastic and not vinyl covered and as such I tried to armourall them but the streaked like crazy. I am going to have to do some digging to see what I can use to shine the interior.

The seating is very roomy for just the quad cab and not the crew cab. You can fit 6 adults without hips touching(although I guess it depends on the size of the adults :) )

I got the tow package as well and it has plug ins for flat 4 as well as the bigger round one(7 pin I think). I had to extend my trailer harness on the boat to reach but no big deal. As for the hitch its high so you will likely need a large drop bar to hook up you boat properly. a 4-6 inch drop depending on your trailer configuration.

The trailer chain loops are large and sturdy. I had no problems connecting my chain hooks to it.

Pulling the boat out of the water is no big deal and with the part time 4x4 I don't expect to get stuck at a launch.

I opted to not get the limited slip diff as I live in the GTA. If I lived in snow country I would have opted for it as it would be well worth it.

I did drive the tundra and the ford and I can tell you that the handling and ride of the dodge feel far superior. It handles truly like a car and I would attribute this to the IFS setup(independent front suspension). Something that every single person that has gotten inside of the truck has immediately said two things.

1) Damn you need to get step bars I can't get in. - I would opt to go for the step bars either factory or the aftermarket ones.

2) WOW this truck is so quiet - Its really a very very quiet ride even at highway speeds.

Some of the things I plan on adding are a wireless reverse camera/gps. Typically I just use my cell phone for navigation but I recently switched back to a blackberry and I find the screen too small compared to my galaxy S3 I had before.

Anyway if anyone has any specific questions feel free to reach out and I will be happy to offer any insight I can.

As of today though I am very pleased with it and if you are in the market for a fuel efficient truck I would recommend you take a good look at the 2013 dodge rams.

I love your last report on your truck. I bought a new 2011 1500 Sport Ram Truck Crew Cab with a 5.7 Hemi and I regret buying it big time, the gas consumption is just killing me. Thinking of going your way now. Where did you buy it if I may ask.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good deal. If you drive with a light foot you will be amazed at the fuel consumption. I know I was. The only thing is if you are towing lots of weight it would be worth hooked it up and see how it does. For the price though there isn't much else out there.