I Hate You Weather Network !

mattybculp

Well our annual fishing trip is upon us. This year we are heading up Kipawa way in Quebec to target some early season pike and lakers with hopefully some eyes, Starting monday June 3rd to 7th. So like every nut out there I start watching the forecasts as soon as that 14 day trend comes available sometimes twice a day. So ofcourse its starts out with that standard prediciton I swear they put out . 20 degrees, 20% POP variable sun for all the days of our trip, ( which I know from past years always changes) but no matter what, it starts you off with a positive outlook of something that you cannot control, the weather. So ofcourse a few days pass by and the forecast turns to heavy rain forecasts but temperatures respectable, so now im really trying to believe in that statement that " its early, plenty of time for things to change." Sure enough I check 2 days later and its rebounded to favourable and stable weather again. So now im pumped, even a couple fist pumps I can remember were done, alone ofcourse haha. Then I check yesterday for mondays forecast, 1 day later from when I checked it last and whammy like a kick to the stones the weather has turned back to the worst. Hot, humid days with rain and thunderstorm activites followed to a drop to 12 degrees for the first day of our trip which im sure will accompany a nice north wind! I would like to think I have decent common sense, but clearly I go through this same spiel every year, so its clealry not regestering, or as the wife thinks that I have selective memory. But needless to say, weather network you are cruel, and you hurt my feelings. Haha. So now im back on the wagon of believing weather is unpredictable and can take a change back once again, to good weather. I think im crazy. Ofcourse the worst day of fishing is better than a great day at the the office, but I cant seem to get a break the past 4 years, and its tough when you gotta make your reservation 6 moths in advance. I swear im not crazy but stongly considering it. So I shouldnt probably damn the weather network, rather myself for believing in "santa". Ps im chuckling while typing this cause im in denial. You know the saying if you cant laugh at your self, then ........

Cheers guys!

Matt

Thats funny,

I have taken a different approach to the 5 day forecast. As soon as the 5 day is up for a day of the week I want to fish, I look for the worst day out there and pick it to go fishing. By the time the day comes around, they are usually forecasting sunny and little wind.

Seems to work for me. Although if I have figured this out, I don't know why they can't. I figure they just say rain all the time and if they are wrong, we are still happy. If they said it was going to be nice all of the time and it rained, no one would be too happy happy with them!!!!

The weather network can't tell you what the weather is like right now.

And the worst part it these guys doing the predicting are probably well paid for their efforts.

Is there any other job in the country where your paid for being wrong on a very regular basis ??

I do the same Matt and over the years I have learned that you can never trust the forecast that far out but they are pretty close to predicting the temperatures so go with that ! I would say 3 days out they are somewhat close . Good luck on your trip and we expect a full report when you get back , did I say we like pictures :good:

And the worst part it these guys doing the predicting are probably well paid for their efforts.

Is there any other job in the country where your paid for being wrong on a very regular basis ??

I always say if I was wrong 60 percent of the time like the weather network is, I would be out of business.

I do the same Matt and over the years I have learned that you can never trust the forecast that far out but they are pretty close to predicting the temperatures so go with that ! I would say 3 days out they are somewhat close . Good luck on your trip and we expect a full report when you get back , did I say we like pictures :good:

Will do for sure, I will keep my fingers crossed that the system either slows down or speeds up and will for sure post a reprt with pics when I get back

The only person that I ever believed for a Weather forecast was an old Indian man. In Sept. 2011 he told me that we would have a long and very cold Winter. And I asked him how he could know that? He answered " White man cut lot's of wood"!!!

Designated Hitter in Baseball. The best ones are only right 30% of the time.

Edited by Raf

Premier

The only person that I ever believed for a Weather forecast was an old Indian man. In Sept. 2011 he told me that we would have a long and very cold Winter. And I asked him how he could know that? He answered " White man cut lot's of wood"!!!

:rofl2: thats funny right there...!!!!!

Yes there is, my divorce lawyer.

I have a very, very successful friend from the states who was hosting a golf weekend down at his place in Ellicotville NY a few years back. The night before I was supposed to leave the weather was calling for continued thunderstorms and everything that comes with it for the next 4 days. I get a call from him to meet the gang at the Niagara Falls NY airport the next morning at 8:00. I'm always telling him I worked at Stelco I didn't own it, he doesn't take no for an answer, maybe why he's been so successful with a grade 11 education. The 8 of us were in Myrtle Beach in what seemed to be a few minutes in what I called the space shuttle. Teed off by 11:00.

They say money doesn't make you happy but it can change the weather.

In all the years we've been fishing up on Kipawa I've yet to see the wx be what was forecasted the day before we went in. Last year it was supposed to be wet and unstable all week. In fact, we had 6-straight days of sunshine and light breezes.

You'll know what the wx is going to be on Kipawa when it's happening...and not likely any sooner.

Have a great trip!

Do people actually believe that meteorologists are 'bad at their jobs' when they miss a forecast. The weather network is a fantastic resource, so long as you're not expecting drastically unreasonable things out of them. Go earn meteorology degrees and show them what lazy bums they are lol!

weather forecasters and politicians are the only people who can fail at their job repeatedly and stay employed :wallbash:

I figure they like to do the "chance of..." to cover their asses so if it happens, they can say "we told you so" and if not, no body complains about a nice day - and if they complain-> "hey we said only a CHANCE of..."

Then again, not many people get second-guessed by a groundhog either! :lol:

I've noticed a general trend----they predict 30-40 mm of rain 6 days ahead, then revise it 3 days ahead to say 15-20, then 1 day ahead to say 5-10, then we get 1-5!

Edited by Knuguy

Do people actually believe that meteorologists are 'bad at their jobs' when they miss a forecast. The weather network is a fantastic resource, so long as you're not expecting drastically unreasonable things out of them. Go earn meteorology degrees and show them what lazy bums they are lol!

I agree. I use the weather network for my US destinations as well. Way more detailed info than anything that I've found south of the border.

I love when they predict 80% chance of rain and it's pouring out, I think that's 100% chance. Sometimes they should look outside. But I always use it. Go to a site with Doplar radar, that's as close as you can get to know what's going on, but that's now not 5 days ahead.

Do you find one site is more accurate than another ie The Weather Network, Enviroment Canada, or Accuweather ? Cause it can be crazy between the differences between them. You might think they would all get together and say " im saying its 6 degrees warmer and sunny while the other guy is saying its gunna be a lot colder and rain". Just wondering if you guys think that one is more accurate. I am an educated man (my mother made me) so I understand that they have a great deal of education behind the science of things, and that weather is unpredictable so im saying these things light hearted, not like im looking for heads to roll. Just giving them a hard time like people have since the dawn of weather predicitons, of course its a useful source of information which I continue to use, but im just venting cause I dont care if im on holidays down south and they get it wrong, but when it comes to my fishing trip, which I enjoy and look forward too 50 times more than vacationing im hoping there on there "A" game. Thats all. PS if there are any meteoroligist memebers on the board I apologize if I have hurt your feelings. sort of.

- The End-