How to get ownership paper for an older boat that's never been registered? NF

chris.brock

I bought a 15 ft aluminum boat about 12 years ago, I never got the ownership at the time, now that I want to sell it, I'd like to have the ownership, the boat was brand new when I bought it

the people at Service Canada in the city here are clueless

any tips/ help would be appreciated

Edited by chris.brock

The ownership is the bill of sale you got at the auction, if you chucked it..go see a public notary and they'll swear out an avidavit for a small sum. The vessel registration/licence is not an ownership. Once you have the ownership, then you can get the vessel licenced(boat number).

Does the licence prove the ownership of my pleasure craft?

A licence does not prove that you own your pleasure craft. You must carry separate ownership documents with you. Cut and copied from here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm#g7

Proof of ownership has absolutely nothing to do with vessel size or motor size

I'll have to wait until I get home but I'm pretty sure it's for all vessels regardless of motive power. It's just proof of ownership to alleviate any questions when you get asked. I keep all mine in one of those waterproof little boxes along with copies of Op card and fishing licence, radio op card, etc.

There is no such thing as an ownership or pink slip for a pleasurecraft (boat). Boat have to registered or licensed and only if they are 10 hp or above a (from Transport Canada's Website) :

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft, which are principally maintained or operated in Canada.

You submit photo ID with the registration form from the link I provided above. You will receive in the mail a copy of the registration with your name and the pleasurecraft information filled out, including the numbers. I know there is a fine for not having the numbers properly displayed but I have yet to see or hear of anyone being fined for not having their papers in the boat. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I would suggest keeping a copy of the registration in your boat and a copy in safe keeping. They are now only good for 10 years (anyone else sniff another licensing fee or tax on the way), and it's up to you to contact TC if you move. If you sell the registered pleasurecraft then it's up to the new owner to fill out a form and submit it.

There is no fine for not having proof of ownership in any craft that is powered by a 9.9 or below including kayaks, paddle boats or canoes.

There is no such thing as an ownership or pink slip for a pleasurecraft (boat). Boat have to registered or licensed and only if they are 10 hp or above a (from Transport Canada's Website) :

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft, which are principally maintained or operated in Canada.

You submit photo ID with the registration form from the link I provided above. You will receive in the mail a copy of the registration with your name and the pleasurecraft information filled out, including the numbers. I know there is a fine for not having the numbers properly displayed but I have yet to see or hear of anyone being fined for not having their papers in the boat. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I would suggest keeping a copy of the registration in your boat and a copy in safe keeping. They are now only good for 10 years (anyone else sniff another licensing fee or tax on the way), and it's up to you to contact TC if you move. If you sell the registered pleasurecraft then it's up to the new owner to fill out a form and submit it.

There is no fine for not having proof of ownership in any craft that is powered by a 9.9 or below including kayaks, paddle boats or canoes.

Okay, Smokestack, is there something you don't get from the link posted above that came directly from the Transport Canada Marine website? Glen is not looking for babbling or hypothysis, nobody said there was a "pink" slip. The ownership is the "bill of sale" you know, receipt, nobody is talking about the licence or registration. "O W N E R S H I P"

• 2 weeks later...