1st trip to Rice Lake

After 13 years split between Nipissing & Bay of Quinte we've changed destinations for our annual spring fishing trip. Going to try Rice Lake. Haven't fished it since I was 13. We'll be sending 4 days at Southview Cottages next week. Any advice for walleye/musky fishing would be much appreciated. I can remember strictly trolling with worm harnesses when I fished there in my youth.

Rice Lake = WEEDS. Jig in and around any weed beds or rip them with bucktails or pitchin' jigs. I've tried all the popular Walleye techniques on Rice and they all work. However, most of my experience is in the summer and I've only fished it a few times in the spring. Lots of good fishing near Southview as well. We've pulled out plenty of Walleye, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Perch and some HUGE Crappie from the weed beds south of the cottages.

Have a good trip!

Find a weed edge, and you won't have any trouble catching fish. I don't get a lot of muskies out of there, but I also don't target them there much.

You'll have no problem getting a fry of fish.

S.

This past weekend we went out for both days. We didnt have too much luck on our regular weedline spots where we normally use harnesses and jigs. We changed tactics and decided to target some points. Instantly we figured out a pattern which was hair jigs on points... One of the most productive pickerel days in years! Yellow hair jigs were proven to be key factor of success as a stubborn friend who refused to switch-up got skunked. Lol

4 of us fished rice on saturday. The wind was brutal, but we still put lots of eyes in the boat. Kids had a blast! Fish are still kind of transitioning from river to main lake weed edges, but if you slow down and stick to the deep weed edges its not hard to catch a bunch of fish!

S.

This past weekend we went out for both days. We didnt have too much luck on our regular weedline spots where we normally use harnesses and jigs. We changed tactics and decided to target some points. Instantly we figured out a pattern which was hair jigs on points... One of the most productive pickerel days in years! Yellow hair jigs were proven to be key factor of success as a stubborn friend who refused to switch-up got skunked. Lol

Awesome.. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to decide if I keep this to myself or share it with the others in my group. :)

I know the owners of southview very well, you will have a blast! Try casting off the docks at night for walleye and crappie. Bonus of fishing off the docks is you can do it with a beer in hand :) Also, if you head to the west of southview along the same north shore the resort is on, you will come to a point on the edge of a bay that has a very distinct weedline ranging from 6-13 fow. you're welcome ;)

I know the owners of southview very well, you will have a blast! Try casting off the docks at night for walleye and crappie. Bonus of fishing off the docks is you can do it with a beer in hand :) Also, if you head to the west of southview along the same north shore the resort is on, you will come to a point on the edge of a bay that has a very distinct weedline ranging from 6-13 fow. you're welcome ;)

Thank you Frawlsmaster!