Fishing Superstitions

FloatnFly

I like the superstitions, keeps things fun

No bananas. No sunscreen gas or bug spray on the hands, if your trolling dont watch the rod because you will catch nothin. Salmon trolling requires talking laughing screwing around whatever it takes to not look at the rods. Never ever leave the scale it, for us this is the death blow for salmon, we have never caught a mature if the scale is not in the bottom of the tackle box where it belongs. Also keep the pliers close at hand. Whew thats a lot, and theres more but we'll stick with those since every man has to have his secrets

NEVER put water in the livewell before the first catch.

If you fill it before a fish goes in you are sure to be driving a water tank with no fish in it around the lake all day long.

NEVER make special accomidations to go get a camera or a net that was forgotten.

If you turn around to get your camera or your net that you forgot at home you are sure to be skunked.

I always thought that if I forgot something, all hope of catching fish was lost. Even if I don't go get it, I still forgot it and its bad luck.

Years back when there were smelt and I was in college. The local tradition was to bite the head off the first one caught. One year in the middle of a big run a guy dove in to get his smelt and came out with a fair sized steelhead. Took him quite a while to accomplish this feat and nobody told him it wasn't a smelt.

Edited by madhuskie